Author Topic: Help Adding Sheath to Bag  (Read 1740 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Help Adding Sheath to Bag
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »
I’d like to add a patch knife to my shooting pouch. The pouch is cloth lined which would seem to complicate things. I’m not at all handy at this type of thing. Can I send the pouch and knife to one of you guys and could you make and attach a sheath to my bag for me? I’d make it worth your while.

Thanks all!

-Smokey

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Help Adding Sheath to Bag
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »
Could you attach a few photos of your pouch,  so we have an idea what would need to be done?

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
Could you attach a few photos of your pouch,  so we have an idea what would need to be done?

I haven’t one handy as I’m away from home at the moment, but will post one in a few days when I get home!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 11:44:03 PM »
Keep a couple of things in mind:

1) it is going to be hard to add a sheath to the back of an already-made bag.  I have stitched inside a bag, and it isn't easy.

2) Unless the sheath is rugged (and therefore hard to stitch on), you run the risk of punching the knife tip into the inside of the bag.  It maybe period correct, but I cast a suspect eye at some of those sheaths on the back of bags.  I think we have learned a lot in the last 200+ years.

3) A sheath can be attached to a bag strap, and that might be easier to access. 

4) In my opinion, a sheath on the waist belt is an easier-to-use choice.  I think this was the majority of users' choice back in the day.

5) If you sew a sheath on the back, you are locked into one knife.  If it breaks or you lose it, any other knife is a compromise. 

I hope this gives you good food for thought.   God Bless,  Marc

Offline Mick C

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »
I'm in no way offering to actually add the sheath for you as I'd mess it up in a heartbeat, but here are photos of a bag that Darrell Lang made for me with an attached sheath.  In this case the main attachment is on the back of the strap and then simply tacked to the bag at the lower point.  Just an idea to toss out there.  Works great.   
(by-the-way, I have since replaced the knife with a much nicer hand-forged one by Nathan Allan)

My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline JW

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:08:38 PM »
Another option is to tie a sheath to the back of the bag strap using leather ties. I do that from time to time for hunting. Haven't made a bag with one permanently attached. You can sort of see what I'm talking about in this pic. You have the benefit of moving it around or removing it totally.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 11:56:23 PM »
A patch knife on the strap is handy.  That’s a really nice bag Mick.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 03:48:01 AM by Afghanvet »

Offline Mick C

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
A patch knife on the strap is handy.  That’s a really nice bag Mick.

Thank you, Mike.  Darrel really does some beautiful work.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 08:36:02 PM »
As Marc says.....  attaching a sheath on the back of the bag after bag is made is a b*%$.  And, does create some problems even if it is done during the build.  The sliding "tilted" sheath on the bag strap works well with small and medium knives and strong strap material but when ya start to get into the large knife (rifleman's) there are some balance problems.  I really think size matters here for whatever attachment method you choose.  The one thing ya dont want is for that knife and sheath to be hanging loose as it could become detached from the bag set up.

Another hint here is to be sure you have "pre formed" the sheath to the knife and used pretty stout leather for the size of the knife and area of attachment.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Mick C

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
As Marc says.....  attaching a sheath on the back of the bag after bag is made is a b*%$.  And, does create some problems even if it is done during the build.  The sliding "tilted" sheath on the bag strap works well with small and medium knives and strong strap material but when ya start to get into the large knife (rifleman's) there are some balance problems.  I really think size matters here for whatever attachment method you choose.  The one thing ya dont want is for that knife and sheath to be hanging loose as it could become detached from the bag set up.

Another hint here is to be sure you have "pre formed" the sheath to the knife and used pretty stout leather for the size of the knife and area of attachment.

JMHO

Size and balance are absolutely important.  Might want to experiment with location and angle.  Plus the back of the bag will really only work for a smallish, light utility size knife....Mick C

Heyboy

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 01:17:45 AM »
I made this sheath and attached it to a bag I bought at Fort Frederick. The center layer in the sheath I kept a square corner for the button, this way I can remove it if I want. The top isn’t sewn on, just a loop.