Author Topic: John Sherry Sr, Clarion County PA  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
John Sherry Sr, Clarion County PA
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:31:44 AM »
A nice example of the work of John Sherry Sr.  Stock is in excellent condition with only signs of age and no damage.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:52:04 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: country auction find
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »
I NEVER run across great finds like that one!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 02:49:28 AM »
Susquehanna looking to me. It has some Joe Long attributes in the stock profile and patchbox architecture. That’s a dandy find.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline VP

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 02:50:18 AM »
Great find but I don't know who made it. Is there any engraving on the toe plate or carving around the barrel tang?

VP

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 02:51:48 AM »
Just a wiggle border on the toe. No carving.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 03:57:31 AM »
Hi Rob,
      I would have to guess that the gun was made south central PA or Maryland.   How about a close up of the patchbox?   Nice find Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 04:02:12 AM »
Awesome rifle! I know it's not a Baum rifle, but I had a Samuel Baum rifle that had almost exactly the same patchbox. Very nice!

Offline lexington1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 04:07:57 AM »
The more I look at it the more I think it could possibly be a Baum rifle or at least in the upper Susquehanna area.

Offline rlm

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 04:22:05 AM »
The patchbox and  butt stock look like Joseph Clippinger Franklin Co. Washington' Twp. Where did the rifle turn up?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 04:43:13 AM »
It turned up in Clarion County. I see a similarity to Clippingers box in the pb reference book.
Also reminds me of Christian Beck Patchbox

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »
Rob, Your my hero!!
JIM

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:57:36 AM »
 Rob, You come up with some of the neatest finds.

Tim

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 04:44:44 AM »
Rob, Your my hero!!

Jim, You need to set your bar higher😄

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 08:21:09 AM »
Right down the road from me.....!   

The majority of Western Pennsylvania guns aren't my thing so I don't go looking.  My family roots from the Clarion/Armstrong county area....I always wanted to build a rifle like maybe my ancestors may have had...but haven't been able to find much and what I do find, doesn't really interest me. 

Would be interested in hearing where that one was born..nice looking rifle and looks to be in pretty good shape. I like the lower forend patch.  Fixes like that always got me curious.  Did they accidentally break into the ramrod channel and decide to fix it or was it broke through later in life and fixed.   

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
That’s a good question. Wear plates were both functional and decorative. I am sure many were added after a ramrod breakthrough but I think more were preventative guards against it. I’ve studied over 85 rifles made by my family in WPA and every one had a wear plate that appeared original to the build. Ie showed more wear than the other inlays due to handling. If you want a nice WPA rifle with an earlier look they are out there. John Sherry would be a good Clarion example and Nicholas Shenefelts earlier work.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 04:52:34 PM »
 Rob , Where is the patch box release located ? Is it hidden under the side plate? I didn't see it on the butt plate.  Jim
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »
There is a button in the center of the toe plate.  Just not visible from the photo angle.  It was frozen up and I had to take
the butt plate off to fix it.  I was hoping for treasure in the patchbox like a note or something, but just a couple round
balls and caps were in there.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »
With Knowledge of Ron  Luckinbill, I am almost certain this rifle is the product of John Sherry. Many thanks to Ron for sharing.

Online Herb

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 07:28:04 PM »
In Jim Whisker's book "Behold, the Longrifle Again"  on page 167 there is pictured a John Sherry rifle that looks much like this one.
Herb

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
Here's a signed John Sherry for comparison.  Photos thanks to Ron Luckenbill.

Offline Mick C

Re: John Sherry
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 04:02:53 AM »
Mystery seems solved.  That's one nifty rifle-gun.  Thanks for sharing.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!