Author Topic: Check out C. Edwards on the blog today  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Check out C. Edwards on the blog today
« on: August 06, 2019, 05:13:52 PM »
The guy is easily the best British fowling gun maker out there today. Nailed it. Hand forged all the mounts too, incredible work, best I've seen.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Check out C. Edwards on the blog today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »
Mighty fine indeed
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:15:16 PM »
Superlative!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
Love his work!!  Adding the Bible verses also helps to make his rifles even more special.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »
Love his work!!  Adding the Bible verses also helps to make his rifles even more special.
Although I am quite religious I have never cared for Bible verses on guns. Just one of my "things". ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
I've handled a lot of mid-18th century British guns and I've never seen one with a Biblical quotation on it. For a number of reasons this was very unlikely. The subset of the population who would likely have been intimately familiar with the Bible were the dissenters (non-C of E Protestants) and relatively few of them belonged to the class that would have owned a fowling-piece. One of the contributing factors to Birmingham's success as an arms making town was the fact that it was unincorporated and therefore not subject to the restrictions of the Clarendon Code, a set of laws placing restrictions on dissenters.

There were plenty of wealthy dissenters but most made their money in trade, as other professions were forbidden them. (The Galtons, Quaker gunmakers and Josiah Wedgewood, the potter come to mind). As such, they were rarely members of the landed gentry who were the only market for fowling guns. There was no public hunting land in Britain (and there isn't any today) so unless one had land or knew people who did, hunting was not possible.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »
Well put Joe, and very valid on who whould own what.
There is however, some public shooting available in the UK;

Coastal Wildfowling below the high water mark is allowed, and anyone can engage in this age-old persuit on the saltings, salt marsh, etc.

All the best,
Richard.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »
I think Chuck puts a verse on every gun. I'm sure his choice to do so is not meant to be historical. The location of this verse however was common on fancier pieces to have the name of the owner and his estate.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
I think Chuck puts a verse on every gun. I'm sure his choice to do so is not meant to be historical. The location of this verse however was common on fancier pieces to have the name of the owner and his estate.
Yes, something like this.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 08:17:54 PM »
Except this owner is minus an estate.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 12:14:11 AM »

Coastal Wildfowling below the high water mark is allowed, and anyone can engage in this age-old persuit on the saltings, salt marsh, etc.

I'm particularly glad you mentioned that because when I was discussing this aspect of the Thomas Ketland's work I added a footnote positing that the singular exception may be coastal areas below the high tide mark. I'm not knowledgeable enough in English law to have been certain and meant to look into it further but here in New England property rights along the coast usually follow English law in place before the Revolution and that is how it works here. We have a constant problem with posh "beach clubs" complaining because they are prohibited from barring people from their little section of beachfront as long as they stay below the high-tide line.