Author Topic: Personae, Slings and Conjecture  (Read 990 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Personae, Slings and Conjecture
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »
It took me ten years to write this novel, my second…

image sharing

I dunno how good or bad it was, and took back the rights certain that nobody is likely to turn it into a movie and make me wealthy.
When we left Pittsburgh in 2005, I had five feet of stacked sources to dispose of;  A page here and there of a letter, a few twenty page or so journals, Moneypenny’s Journal, Lyman’s General Orders, Jabez Fitch, Lucas Gridley, Rufus Putnam, a couple of reprints of Rogers’ and Bouganville’s Journals and so on.  In sorting through it all, and keeping the prized pieces, it occurred to me that midway through the endeavor I backed into a transition from trying to incorporate good history into trying to incorporate accurate culture.
I guess that’s the soul of what many of us are trying to achieve in building a Persona, and would like to invite you to reply with yours and some pics here.
Mine, of course, is a Cordwainer.  Not overly wealthy but quite a ways from being poor.  Not overly fond of working a farm and and willing to be an entrepreneur from the Newbury Parish ( current day Brookfield, Ct), comfortable enough in the woods to engage in Ranging without being the Over-Ooh-Rah nutsies belonging to Rogers.  Willing to conspire with the merchants in the town and leverage the Iron Works and Cotton Mills in the Parish.  Probably an officer or company clerk because to the literacy Apprentices got over the seven years.  A part-timer at the Lake George Front where, due to trafficking in Penns Colony, maybe he picked up a Jaeger or Transitional and maybe he did some of the hunting around Fort Edward that is periodically cited in reports and journals…..Maybe.  Conjectural.

Therein lies the rub.  When is conjecture reasonable or valid and when is it a little off the wall?
I tried to back date my first Little Feller from the original kit by changing some of the furniture and shaping the wood after going through my Shumways.  Couldn't do anything about the lock, and I asked folks in the forum about slings.

Not getting any good direction, and having too much money in my pockets at Dixon’s Fair, I picked up a woven piece that was made from dyed and waxed Linen Thread.   Possible because it might have been easy to try but not wide spread because linen thread was expensive in the colonies.  So, now I gotta think like an eighteenth century shoemaker…cheap and miserly.  I cut some scrap leather, tapered and Hog-bristled some thread, and stitched it together, avoiding both tools and shortcuts that are modern day.  There’s some of that conjecture stuff again.  Maybe SOMEBODY had a rig like this, but there does not seem to be a Shumway or Madison Grant  out there that has a definitive definition of what a sling was or wasn’t.  I doubt anybody backdates their stuff.

Somebody must have had something like this banging around in the Century, and I intend to try to find him if lucky enough to walk the streets of glory when my time is due.

Anyway, tell us a little about your persona or Conjecture.

Thanks

Capgun

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Personae, Slings and Conjecture
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:46:29 PM »
Here is my take on this:
If it pleases you then go for it.
 When it comes to personas I think people get way too carried away with everything having to be absolutely correct. I live in Oregon where most everyone portrays the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade Era "Mountain Man". Having my roots in Ireland and my family coming to the NW corner of North Carolina in the 1750's I decided to sell off all the mountain man garb and made my own persona. It is of an Irish/American market or long hunter. Huron moccasins, leggings, kilt from our family tartan in Ireland, period correct waistcoat, Hunting coat, and Balmoral.
Now I am sure the Irish/American market and long hunters of the 1750's-1790's didn't wear their kilts into the woods and probably ditched the Balmoral in favor of a more "American" style hat, and the Irish didn't wear kilts like the Scots did but you know what I DON'T CARE, not even a little. This persona makes me happy and pays tribute to my heritage, the period my flintlocks are made to represent and the time frame I love. If this ruffles a few feathers; in the words of Rhett Butler: "Frankly Scarlet I don't give a @!*%!
I am still waiting on the kilt to arrive, once it does I will post on this thread pictures of my persona but until then I will post two historical drawings that I am combining to create my new persona.
Opinions on this?

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
Just my opinion, but, I think the bottom pic more portrays the adaptation that likely would have been...…

And besides that, I really like the look.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 06:49:03 AM »
Greg, once again you've given me food for thought. I may respond further after thinking on things a bit.
For now, I think some conjecture, that has at least some reasonable line of logic and can be backed up with a back story that makes sense with the historical evidence we have at hand is fine. Until new research shows otherwise, or, maybe new research supports the conjecture, then it isn't conjecture anymore. I.e. a rifle in New England, well, owner did some traveling and trading during the F.&I. that took him into the N.Y. and PA. area and he picked up a rifle through trade or battlefield pick up.

Just looked up your book on Amazon, will order tomorrow morning.
Didn't realize you're within an hour of me when I've read your postings in the past.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Dave