Author Topic: W. States Rifle  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Skirmisher

W. States Rifle
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »
I love percussion rifles and here is another one that looks vaguely southern to me.  Can anyone tell me anything on W. States?  The stock is walnut.
Skirmisher

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: W. States Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 01:32:36 AM »
I wonder if he’s related to Samuel states
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:25:21 AM »
I had wondered myself if this might be a son of Samual States.  Hopefully, someone on this site will have an answer.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
I might have to "borrow" that patchbox!  Been wanting to "dress up" this half-stock I am building, and that would be appropriate.
By the way - a question:  What is meant by "warranted" on a lock?  Normally "warranted" is similar to "guaranteed", but what is being guaranteed?  That the lock will function?  Do you return the lock to the maker if it fails?

Managed to stab my left index finger with my 1/4" chisel yesterday - sure makes typing a bit different.  I keep hitting G and F, which is annoying.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 10:26:49 PM »
Reminds me of a New York rifle.  Anyone on here have the New York gunsmith books? Probably a William States?

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:11:37 AM »
The reclining deer is a common motif on New York rifles but the geral architecture made me think more of West Virginia or Ohio.

realtorone

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 02:30:21 AM »
I have seen that capbox on a rifle some years ago. Most likely in Illinois or Indiana. I'll try and go thru some old 1970 and 1980 pictures and see if I can find it. It may have been from George Handcock or Dock Johnston.

George

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 09:43:18 PM »
I checked the NY Firearms Trade books and there are no listings of any gunmaker with the name States.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 12:56:07 AM »
There is no States in the IL, Ohio, WV,VA books. 

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 04:07:42 AM »
Well, those responses have blown holes in all of my best suppositions on the origins of this piece.  I guess that still leaves Indiana as an option.

realtorone

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 05:14:38 AM »
What impressed

me was the cap box turned backwards I've owned several since that time but not with a deer.

George

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »
First box I have seen with a deer also, although I have other rifles with variants of that deer elsewhere on the rifle.  Orientation of the box seems to have been a matter of preference.  This box, like others in my undistinguished collection, has an old greased linen patch now glued to the bottom of the box by dried and waxy grease.