Author Topic: Bucks Co. rifle  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Bucks Co. rifle
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »
Hugh,
The finished rifle really came out fantastic. I knew when we saw it last fall that it would really come out nice. The finish on the wood really does justice to all the wire and done so tastefully. I know the new owner is going to treasure it and double that if it brings him a bull on the ground. Will definitely look you all up when we get up to SD. Take a good rest and God bless.
elkhorne

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 09:24:24 PM »
Regarding the "Slippery Rock" tree: I do believe that the stock pictured is from that tree - late 1970's.  I have several more blanks from the same tree and the figure in them is "unbelievable"!  How ever let me tell you heavy curl is NOT the easiest to work with!  When I chiseled out the barrel channel for the Bucks Co. rifle I was forever chipping out wood where I shouldn't have and it is also a $%(?@! to carve for the same reason!!?  Wire inlay went a lot better.  The stain that I used was an old dark walnut stain to first give depth to the curl and then I used Homer Dangler's reddish brown stain after tacking the top off the curl and I was very pleased with the result.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »
Talk about the Slippery Rock Tree has been a part of gunmakers lore for as long as I have been in the sport (40 years). Many referred to it as the “Ultimate” in regards to curly maple figure. All examples of gun work stocked from that batch of wood confirm “Ultimate”.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline JLayne

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, what do you do to get the heads of the top jaw screw and lock bolts to have a bluish black color as opposed to the more browned color of the barrel? I like the effect, and would like to try and recreate it on a project I am working on. Thanks.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, what do you do to get the heads of the top jaw screw and lock bolts to have a bluish black color as opposed to the more browned color of the barrel? I like the effect, and would like to try and recreate it on a project I am working on. Thanks.

A few passes with a torch after polishing is the easiest way.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »
A fine firearm Hugh, the owner is going to have a thrill taking that elk.

@Bhmack; use the search function here on ALR and look up "fire bluing." The search will return loads of info on the technique.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 01:15:44 AM »
Layne:  For screw heads that you want "blued" - I use the "fire blue" method.   After polishing bright use a propane torch and apply heat slowly till you see the color that you want.  Then immediately quench in light oil.  If it is a blue color the temp. will be about 550  degrees.  Quenching in oil immediately allows oil molecules to enter the surface of the metal and be trapped there, thus creating a moisture resistant surface.   This will not spoil a "case hardened " surface.  However if you go beyond the 550 degrees the case hardening can be annealed.      Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 02:53:50 AM »
Case hardening or pack hardening, is quenched at red heat.  The molecular skin of higher content carbon steel should be file hard.  Any heating thereafter, to straw, for example, at 375 deg F or to shiny blue at 550 - 700 degrees, will make the surface softer, or as Hugh says, will anneal the surface.  That is the way that I understand it, anyway.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 06:00:30 AM »
Stoner:  In reference to the "Slippery Rock" maple, I believe that the photos attached are of another stock blank from that same tree.  However this one is not for sale, I am hoping to live long enough  to build a rifle out of it. 

the second photo is of the toe area.   Hugh Topenjes
H.T.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:14 AM »
Beautiful rifle!   

I went to Slippery Rock University.....I now live a short distance from Slippery Rock....but I wasn't around in the 70s let alone stocking rifles...so this is the first I'm hearing of such a tree......

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
Beautiful rifle!   

I went to Slippery Rock University.....I now live a short distance from Slippery Rock....but I wasn't around in the 70s let alone stocking rifles...so this is the first I'm hearing of such a tree......
There appears to be many more hundreds of "genuine" slippery rock stocks from "THE TREE" than is mathematically possible.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
I was thinking of that, Mike.  Just how many hundred stocks can you get from one tree?
Maybe the stocks are getting together under cover of darkness and doing a bit of replicating?
That sure is beautiful wood though - when I get better at building, would love to have some wood like that.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »
Here's a kicker!  When I received the shipment of "slippery rock" maple from old Ken Thompson ( early 1980's )  there were 3 - 4  unbelievable curled stocks in the group.  One yr. after they had been in my wood rack I fond one of the best figured stock blanks had wood worm all through it!  I had to cut it up and burn it!  But before I did I found one of the little #&%$&!@ and laid him on the anvil you can guess what happened next.!!?? >:(   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
I really think those darn worms have gourmet palates - they ALWAYS go for the nicest wood first!

Hugh - my deepest sympathies for your loss.  Even if it was more than 30 years ago!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2019, 12:59:24 AM »
I think that everyone that went to Woodstock has one. ::)
[/quote]
 There appears to be many more hundreds of "genuine" slippery rock stocks from "THE TREE" than is mathematically possible.
[/quote]
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline yip

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2019, 02:00:02 AM »
 Hank; ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
Hey Guys:  I have never heard of " The Tree" till Mike posted the mention of it on this thread.  All I know is that the stock blanks posted in this thread were obtained though a fellow named " Ken Thompson " who sold air dried curly maple from Slippery Rock PA. during the late 1970's and early 1980's . Wayne Dunlap bought him out upon retirement.     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 04:12:12 PM »
Hey Guys:  I have never heard of " The Tree" till Mike posted the mention of it on this thread.  All I know is that the stock blanks posted in this thread were obtained though a fellow named " Ken Thompson " who sold air dried curly maple from Slippery Rock PA. during the late 1970's and early 1980's . Wayne Dunlap bought him out upon retirement.     Hugh Toenjes
"THE" tree is supposed to be a very big deal, legendary in fact. That's why I asked.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?