Author Topic: Rifle thoughts  (Read 3246 times)

Offline lexington1

Rifle thoughts
« on: July 29, 2019, 12:25:22 AM »
Any ideas about this rifle? Where it may have been made, when, etc.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:28:48 AM by lexington1 »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Rifle thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:27:09 AM »
 8) 8) 8)... I took a long look at that one too,... did you get it,...??? .... description said patchbox is a later addition,.. sliding wood lid is missing,... wondered about the extra screw in the side-plate,... lock looks hand-forged in the photos,... I don't know about "up-north" guns to have an opinion  on area of origin ,... but think she is an interesting gun,.... 

Offline Bill Wilde

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 04:56:42 AM »
Does the tiger stripping wood graining look applied? I've seen that fake graining done on later guns but not on rifles that appear as early as this one seems to be. Thoughts?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 05:01:55 AM »
Yeah, I took a chance on it. It reminds me a lot of an early rifle that I have, but sometimes pictures can be deceiving. Did you sit through that auction? Wow, what a long boring process! I bought this gun and a double Kentucky early in the bidding. I got the double for $200 and thought, wow this stuff is going to be cheap! Most of the stuff was just junk. There was an early military Jaeger that interested me, but I didn't bid on it.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:04:58 AM »
Does the tiger stripping wood graining look applied? I've seen that fake graining done on later guns but not on rifles that appear as early as this one seems to be. Thoughts?

I don't know. I haven't gotten it yet. That kind of bugged me too, but then I don't know if any of the auctions descriptions were even close to being accurate. I saw at least 4 Lorenz Civil War rifles that were described as Kentucky rifles, lol.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
I almost bid on that one but I was very serious about another rifle coming up after it.  I did get the one I wanted.  :-)

I don't know. I haven't gotten it yet. That kind of bugged me too, but then I don't know if any of the auctions descriptions were even close to being accurate. I saw at least 4 Lorenz Civil War rifles that were described as Kentucky rifles, lol.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »
The long comb/short wrist stand out to me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline vanu

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »
Following up on Rich's observation, that combination has a hint of the upper Shenandoah Valley.

Bruce

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
I owned a unsigned Shetz rifle that had pretty much the same stock design. Thought it was a Hampshire county rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »
I owned a unsigned Shetz rifle that had pretty much the same stock design. Thought it was a Hampshire county rifle.
Dennis
That would be my guess as well, at least somewhere in that area. I don't believe it's "early" either, most likely post 1800...more or less.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:06 PM »
Dennis

Ah, I think you might be on to something. I've been pouring through my books and the stock geometry definitely reminds me of some of the Sheetz guns!

Offline lexington1

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
Dennis
That would be my guess as well, at least somewhere in that area. I don't believe it's "early" either, most likely post 1800...more or less.

It reminded me a bit of this one, but I have to agree with the Va. guess.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 09:28:16 PM »
Probably way out in left field but sort of resembles the Humble rifles to me.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 01:27:41 AM »
Dennis

Nice Rifle!!
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 01:32:36 AM »
Dennis

Nice Rifle!!

I know, right? This came from a gentleman on the West coast....

Offline lexington1

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
I think the Sheetz attribution is spot on. Aspen Shade has this John Sheetz rifle. I hope it's ok to post this. If you have any objections Tim just let me know and I will remove it.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 11:53:28 PM »
i wonder is the lock maker and gun maker are the same. The maker has rifle making skill, did also have metal working skill. Don't think we will know.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 08:05:29 AM »
I doubt that it is a Sheets rifle. While the comb is low, there are major differences in the guards, side facings, and what appears to be some "scooping" or concavity to the cheekpiece. While it may well be a VA rifle, I wouldn't rule out NC.  Shelby Gallien

Offline lexington1

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
If I ever get the thing I can inspect it closer, lol. Man they are taking forever to send their stuff out. Of coarse I can understand why, with 2000+ items in their two auctions.