Author Topic: It finally came!  (Read 1636 times)

Offline lexington1

It finally came!
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:59 PM »
My guns that I bought from the JM Davis auction finally arrived today. The flintlock rifle is pretty neat. It has a wooden patchbox cavity. It's a pretty plain gun. No toe plate ever. The barrel is 43", swamped, and still has a decent bore. I'll measure the twist, just to see what it is. It is right at .510 bore size. There are faint remnants of a signature. The trigger guard was replaced at some point, and this one doesn't fit in the mortice very well. The lockplate is original and fits the mortice well, but it has been converted at one time and then was poorly reconverted. It has a rough wooden box lid that I taped over the brass cover, just to get an idea what it would look like with the wooden box. This gun really fits me well and I could shoot it. I have held a lot of originals and have to say most of them don't really fit too well. Any further tips, suggestions, or ideas about the maker would be appreciated.

gif hosting

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: It finally came!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:03:21 AM »
I saw that gun and thought about it. Glad you got it. Very nice. Late for a wooden box but might be a cost savings thing. What is the width of the buttplate?
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:41:39 AM »
It's begging to be exercised.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:53:27 AM »
I saw that gun and thought about it. Glad you got it. Very nice. Late for a wooden box but might be a cost savings thing. What is the width of the buttplate?

It's about 1 7/8" wide. I'm trying to figure what type of a guard it should have. This one that's on it is way too narrow for the inlet and too short.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 01:26:45 AM »
I strongly considered bidding on that one also.  I decided to wait until the Samuel States rifle came up and I got that one.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 04:14:11 AM »
Very nice win.  Congratulations and thanks for sharing here.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!