Author Topic: Engraving Class at Southern Ohio Workshops with Tom Curran (Acer)  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran

A small flower, hammer-and-chisel cut, in steel.

Good day, everyone. I'm teaching an engraving class in September of this year!

The intent of this class is to teach beginning engraving, a class that you will acquire the skills and tools for engraving your own rifle, tomahawk, or knife. I pay a lot of individual attention to students to see where they are getting stuck, and to show them how to get going again. Once you understand the basic principals, you can figure out for yourself how to fix the problems you come across.

My main objective is to teach how to sharpen gravers, for without a properly sharpened graver, you simply cannot engrave. You will learn to sharpen your graver, and sharpen easily, using the Lindsay Template system. Then you will learn how to cut with the gravers. As time allows, we will get into drawing from original rifle engravings, transferring laser print images, borders, inlaying silver signature panels.

With the Lindsay Template, it’s possible to make perfect cutting tools every time, and to touch up a tool takes but a minute. Most students are making fully functional cutting tools in the first hour of class. Not only is the template system fast, but it’s repeatable, with no guesswork.

There are some REQUIRED tools, such as the Lindsay Template, and you can view them here:
https://chisel82234854.wordpress.com/2018/03/10/hammer-and-chisel-tool-list/

Thanks for considering this. Please PM me with any questions you have. Scroll down for class signup info.
Tom

The template in use:

Below is the signup info for the Southern Ohio Workshop classes:

ENGRAVING WORKSHOP ( Two Classes)

SEPTEMBER 20 - 22, 2019 AND

SEPTEMBER 23 - 25, 2019

Thank  you for your registration request for the Engraving  Workshop with Tom Curran.  General information is available on our website on the Engraving Workshop page here -http://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/engraving.html

The REQUIRED tool list for Tom's Class click this link: https://chisel82234854.wordpress.com/2018/03/10/hammer-and-chisel-tool-list/.

If you have any questions not answered on the website, please feel free to email us at - ohioworkshops@hotmail.com

The class fee is $525. This amount includes instructor fees, meals, lodging and your $225 deposit. It does not include the cost of tools and materials. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. To register for the workshop:

1. Email us at ohioworkshops@hotmail.com  to make sure that there is still space available in the class. Please indicate which class you wish  attend.
 2.  If space is available, send in your deposit check to register for the class. Again, registration is first come,   first served and we can't hold a spot for you without your deposit.   

Please make your $225 deposit check payable to :   Canter's Cave 4-H Camp

Mail the check to :     S.O.A.W.    PO Box 589    Peebles, Ohio 45660

Please do not send a check for the entire class fee at this time. Balance will be payable to your instructor on the first day of class. After you are registered, you will receive an email confirmation, plus your class information packet and tool list. Thank you for your participation and we look forward to seeing you in September!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:38:07 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Engraving Class at Southern Ohio Workshops with Tom Curran (Acer)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 05:45:24 AM »
Tom,

I'm already signed up and my bag is packed.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:48:01 PM »
I highly recommend Tom's workshop to anybody who wants to get started in longrifle engraving. The class has received nothing but rave reviews from past students. Here are a few photos from the class - 

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
A few more photos -

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:40:33 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
Who is that old fool in the bottom pictures?

Taking this class will prepare anyone for getting started engraving with confidence that your graver is perfectly serviceable and ready to go, and you’ve got the basics. After that it’s practice and probably a little hands on help or demonstration of certain skills to become a quite adequate engraver of longrifles in a style like many originals.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
Rich, Please post a picture of your Fainot patchbox if you have one handy.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
This is the BEST engraving class, you will not regret attending. Within a day all of us were hammering out practice plates like mad under Tom's watchful eye.

And, btw, you'll need to bring your own bedding for the bare bunk bed provided.

dave 
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
Rich, Please post a picture of your Fainot patchbox if you have one handy.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »

Lighten up on that hammer, Dave.

Hey, Dave, lighten up!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:01:36 AM »
Rich thanks for posting the Fainot box you made. It's one of the best examples of folk art patchboxes I've seen. You did an excellent job with it, right down to all the funky rivets. It looks so right.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »
We're going to cover a lot of territory in three days. One thing is transferring images. This is so useful for repeat patterns, for drawing your own pattern, but scaling it down to fit your project, or using supplied artwork.

Transfers are not meant replace drawing your own art, but it sure is handy to have this in your back pocket.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
Still a little space left in Tom's class - If you'd like to join, in I know Tom will be glad to have you along! If you have any questions you can ask right here, or send Tom a PM - or you can request info through the Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops website at  https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/request-information.html  . Be sure to type your questions in the provided box. 

smokepole45cal

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
I took this in 2017. Tom (and Ian) show great interest in their students' success. Both of these guys continue to be mentors for me. Engraving is a learning process.  Be patient, persistent, and practice!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
I'm heading out for Canter's Cave.  Been looking forward to this for 3 years!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »
Bedtime on day 1.  Having a ball and engraving up a storm.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 06:12:04 AM »
Hope someone who attended Tom’s class this year can post some pictures and comments.
ellhorne

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 12:16:42 AM »
I am back just a few days from the Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops, and I have a few pictures I can share. I wish I had more pictures, but I'll share what I have.

This first photo is the work of KYFlinter, notice his very clean bright cuts and nice handling of the curves. This is in steel, which you'd think is harder than brass to cut, but it's not. There is a whimsical element in his engraving that was inspired by nature.

Trey is showing his great hand control of the graver, a style that he developed after I'd asked him to try holding the graver with two fingers. This is how you learn to trust the graver point holding in the work. You don't need a grip of iron to engrave, a tight grip will actually work against you, and cause hand fatigue. Trey is using a hammer he made himself before the class. It has a perfect weight.

Bill is working hard at cutting circles. He reported a huge improvement when he lightened his hammer taps, and lightly guided the graver around the turns.

Below is a plate that my daughter Lydia cut during class. She assisted teaching while learning. She drew designs with a sharpie and cut them, and then started working on her shading cuts. John Schipper's book is a great resource for designs, by the way.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:33:43 AM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 12:17:24 AM »
Here is the beautiful lady that inspired KYFlinter's engraving. She'd fit in a 2" circle. Quite handsome, she is.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:35:30 AM by Acer Saccharum »