Author Topic: The J.M. Davis auction...what did you get?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline cshirsch

The J.M. Davis auction...what did you get?
« on: August 14, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
The J.M. Davis auction was quite unique. Sooooo many project guns and low end items. Many auction houses won't even mess with such things so it was a big time for restorers and collectors on a tight budget. The photos were poor and the descriptions were mostly incorrect, but there were some sleepers in the bunch. I lucked out with the Samuel States rifle I won. If you won any of the guns on that auction, post a photo here so we can see what you got.  Just post a photo and tell us how your gamble turned out now that you have it in hand. I'll start.

Offline lexington1

Re: The J.M. Davis auction...what did you get?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
Here is what I got

I know the Lorenz isn't a longrifle, but the auction site did list it as a Kentucky Rifle. Does that count, lol  :o

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
Is that artificial striping on the wood box rifle?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
It is. I sort of have a feeling that someone striped it when it was converted. It is about the plainest piece of maple ever. Also the trigger guard was changed on it a long time ago. The original guard was wider and longer. They used the original pin holes on the stock, but most obviously not the original guard. There are double holes in the guard too, showing that it was reused.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:45:34 PM by lexington1 »

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
I won the two lots I bid on and will post them separately when I am ready.  I purchased the James McKee N.C. Appalachian School rifle and the Francis D. Poyas, silver mounted, Charleston, S.C. rifle and feel like I got both at bargain prices. I was happy with my experience.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 12:50:40 AM »
 8) 8)... Michael,... glad you got the McKee rifle,... I was interested, but I don't do on-line auctions,... Wasn't there a "G. Wilhelm " marked gun in this sale, also,...?... wonder who got that one,... ???

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
Those two were nice guns.  Congrats.

I won the two lots I bid on and will post them separately when I am ready.  I purchased the James McKee N.C. Appalachian School rifle and the Francis D. Poyas, silver mounted, Charleston, S.C. rifle and feel like I got both at bargain prices. I was happy with my experience.

Michael