Author Topic: Shooting bag patterns/inspiration  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Shooting bag patterns/inspiration
« on: August 15, 2019, 03:53:55 AM »
Question for the folks who craft shooting bags...

Are there patterns you use or do you just come up with ideas and go with it?

As a beginner I have noticed that there aren't a lot of patterns for the multitude of bag styles. When you started did you learn by trial and error? Or did you use patterns until you got an idea for what needed to happen to craft a certain style of bag?

I have TC Albert's book and it has several patterns. But (and no disrespect intended to Mr. Albert) the styles are limited. That's fine, you have to start somewhere and learn the basics. But what do you do when you advance beyond those beginner patterns to the different styles you see here?

Mike

Offline Marcruger

Re: Shooting bag patterns/inspiration
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:42:52 AM »
I make all of my patterns from scratch, using poster paper and drafting tools. I am blessed to have been employed in college as a draftsman/techician, so patterns are pretty simple by comparison. I always use a pattern. I would make a mess without one.
God bless, Marc

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:16:03 AM »
I agree with Marc.  You need a pattern to begin.  TC’s book taught me the steps for a bag just as Mike Brooks tutorial teaches the steps for a rifle and I forget who’s book taught me the steps on a horn. .  From there,  research what you like and make a pattern as close as you can  and folllw the steps. You’ll develop a taste for what you like in a bag.  Some like gussets, some like pockets, some like different types of flaps etc.  I’m starting to figure out that once you think you have what you like,  it changes.  I thought a gusset was the only way to go until I used a different weight and better grade of leather.  Now I don’t know what I like best. 

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 05:40:44 AM »
I start with a pattern that I make; either from scratch or starting with another pattern that I have.   I have patterns in brown paper or card stock for everything I make.   I can make up a pattern fairly quickly by folding and cutting the card stock with a pair of shears.   You can free hand it by folding in half to duplicate the halves.

The better your pattern and the more accurately you apply the pattern, the better and quicker your assembly job. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »
For inspiration, study old paintings and steel engravings. That is one thing the internet is useful for.

RoaringBull

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
I have a collection of patterns cut from old thick file folders. I begin with using Microsoft Powerpoint and draw the pattern on it. Helps me to get it symmetrical and you can overlay the pieces. This does limit the size of the bag however. Print them out and cut them out. If no changes need to be made, I trace them onto the thick stock and file them away for later use.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
Excellent information gentleman. Thank you.

I used the printer here at the house to scan and print off the patterns in Mr. Albert's book. (Correction: My wife did that, I can barely operate a calculator without locking it up.) And then traced them on to some poster board. I have even considered tracing them on to some wood and cutting them out with the scroll saw... but that may be a bit of overkill.

Thank you all for your help!

Mike

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
Mike, pretty much after making a  ton of pouches including their patents (patterns) I just make my own using the cheap manilla file folders.  Fold each piece in half that serve as one for the flap, then another one for the bag back and also modified for the face (front) of the bag.  If I like what I created I file for use later on.  You will soon become finding yourself designing the flaps you like and then end up designing the rest of the bag around that.  All kinds of possibilities then open for your journey as a leatherman.   Enjoy your journey and have fun.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mick C

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 03:36:04 AM »
If you can get your hands on one, there's a fairly rare book called "Sketches of Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns, and Accouterments of Southern Appalachia" by Jim Webb, 1998.  It's really an incredible book.  Most of the pouches are shown either full size or half full size, so they would be easy to pattern out.  I can't recommend it enough.  Perhaps some of the fine folks here will know the best place to get a copy.  I got lucky and bough mine on this forum a number of years ago (I think, old noggin ain't what is used to be). Anyway, great book for anyone making their own gear.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:21:35 AM by Mick C »
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
All of these guys know what they are talking about.  The best I can add is using Manila Folders to draw on, where the fold becomes the longitudinal center line for your pattern.  That way , after drawing half your pattern and cutting it out, you will back into symmetry and have a line for buttons or whatever you are going to secure with..

I always use an off the shelf razor knife to cut and never a scissor.

Once you are set on the pattern you want to use, you can recreate it on the Manila, varying the size to your taste.

I used this as an internal pouch on the back wall of my bag

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:18:14 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone.

The Manila folders were such a good idea I had the Mrs. pick me up a package today when we went grocery shopping.

And ironically, any extra folders can be used to store your patterns. Lol

Mike

Online Frank Barker

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
Mike..... Something I might add to this thread is that a gentleman named Ken Scott has a DVD called Recreating The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch that is very informative. He also has an addition that goes with his DVD of patterns and how to produce your own patterns. I have been making pouches for quite some time and I found lots of good idea's in Ken's materials. Something else I might add is that Jim Webb's book will be virtually impossible to find and if you do find one it will be quite expensive. It is a good book and contains lots of good ideas. Hopefully someone will do a reprint of this book soon. Here is Ken Scott's Blog spot and there are lots of good ideas on it. Good Luck in your endeavors and Kind Regards    Frank Barker

http://kenscottpouches.blogspot.com/

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
Ditto what Frank said, the Scott video is an excellent source of information and technique.  You will probably watch the video several times to fully understand what/how he accomplishments sewing the pouch with everything lining up.    Some parts are critical to completing the pouch when all is marked and put together so your bag isn't cockeyed. You will now understand and appreciate more why some makers/pouches command a good price.   Enjoy your journey Mike.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 06:39:35 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words! I'm not walking yet, still in the crawling stage... But even crawling is forward progress. Lol

Mike

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »
My suggestions are these, avoid bags that are too large, because the originals aren’t. Bags that are too fancy, rarely look correct with most common cloths of the past, and quite often look like your wife gave up an old purse. And, quirky overly rustic bags almost always look contrived. One of my favorite bags is a copy of a very old, and fragile one owned by a good friend that is made in one piece. The front, back, and flap, are one strip of brain tanned leather about six inches wide. The strap is the only part that is added.

Hungry Horse

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 05:48:49 AM »
Another great source of inspiration is a visit to Art Riser’s Contemporary Makers Blogspot. There are literally hundreds of clear, high resolution photos of any sort of bag you can imagine, from all the best accoutrement makers in the business. Eye candy for days...

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
My suggestions are these, avoid bags that are too large, because the originals aren’t. Bags that are too fancy, rarely look correct with most common cloths of the past, and quite often look like your wife gave up an old purse. And, quirky overly rustic bags almost always look contrived. One of my favorite bags is a copy of a very old, and fragile one owned by a good friend that is made in one piece. The front, back, and flap, are one strip of brain tanned leather about six inches wide. The strap is the only part that is added.

Hungry Horse

Hey HH,
Post is a pic of that bag.