Author Topic: Peter White/Bedford Co. Flint, Finished-new pics added  (Read 2890 times)

Online t.caster

Peter White/Bedford Co. Flint, Finished-new pics added
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »
Hot off my workbench is this .50 cal flintlock representative of White's work in Cumberland Valley Twp., Bedford Co. of the 1803-1816 era. White's work was strongly influenced by John Armstrong, (Emmitsburg, Maryland) whom he worked with or around prior to moving to Bedford Co.
This uses a .50 cal. X 7/8" straight x 42" Green Mnt. barrel and L&R Bedford flintlock that took a lot of work to bring up to par performance. Also used double set triggers from TOTW. Twelve Sterling silver inlays are featured along with handmade pierced brass patchbox and sideplate. The barrel is attached with 4 brass keys. The exhibition grade quarter sawn sugar maple stock blank was from William Buchele's estate! Hardest piece of wood I've ever put a blade to! It's stained with Feibings leather dyes and finished w/Permalyn Sealer and Finish, the last 2 of 7 coats were tinted black. Once it's all rubbed out I apply a couple coats of black shoe polish for the wax.
This was a custom order for a gentleman on this forum who asked me to show it off here when complete! Comments or questions are welcome.

My deck dried off today so here's some new overall pics

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:43:58 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Peter White/Bedford Co. Flint, Finished
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
Beautiful rifle.  Someone is going to be very happy with that.  Here is a Peter White patchbox
from the collection of the late Randy Weitzel.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:40:04 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online t.caster

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:52 PM »
Shreckmeister, that's not what most people would identify as a Bedford, but White's work was earlier than those established "Q" finial patchbox. I see a Masonic symbol on that lid.
Tom C.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »
Beautiful work as always! 

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:00:37 AM »
Beautiful gun.  I really like what you did with the inlays & barrel keys.  Great finish.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:06:24 AM »
Very pretty rifle Tom.  There's a lot going on there.  Nicely done.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:56:46 AM »
Beautiful gun.

Best regards
Rolf

Online t.caster

Re: Peter White/Bedford Co. Flint, Finished-new pics added
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
Thanks to all. Here are a couple more new pics:

Tom C.

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 10:32:04 PM »
Very accomplished  work. You just made me like Bedfords. ....Fred

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 10:40:58 PM »
Most folks think of Bedford Co. rifles as exaggerated hockey stick architecture, and they don't care for them.  This one shows that although late to the longrifle period/game, these rifles have a pleasing grace and charm, or can have.  Really nice work Tom.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online t.caster

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 04:50:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I sure didn't want it to look like a "HOCKEY STICK" ;) LOL
Tom C.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 05:18:10 PM »
Very nice rifle.  I like the carving and inletting.  The color that you were able to achieve is very pleasing too.   I would say that it has “nice wood” but, I recently found out that it’s rude to say that.  :D

Offline okieboy

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 10:13:10 PM »
 It is a very pretty rifle. I particularly admire the finish and the inlays.
 I have read your comments on Dennis's thread, but I still have questions.
 What did you use for a pattern for the butt-stock? White's butt-stocks vary a fair amount.
 Was there a reason for using the triggers (with the deeply curved rear trigger) that you did. I know that L&R makes a Bedford style trigger, but most other double lever triggers have deeply curved rear triggers. I wish we had more trigger styles to choose from.
 You said that this was based on multiple White guns, all with rat-tail flintlocks. All of the White flintlocks that I have found photos of either have round tailed locks or have rat-tailed locks with the notation that they were "reconverted',and the discussions that I have read by collectors seem to question whether there were any original rat-tailed flintlocks.
 I mean my questions respectfully, I just want to know more about what went into your choices for this lovely piece, even if it is "That's what the customer wanted" or "That's what I wanted".
 Once again a lovely piece of craftsmanship.
Okieboy

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 11:56:52 PM »
Beautiful rifle.  I have always liked the Bedford style especially White's work since I grew up in Uniontown, Pa. where he is buried.  You have created a very nice example of that school.

Online t.caster

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »
Okieboy, the buttstock shape was derived from Kindig's TKR #257, by Peter White. I enlarged the pics on my copier to suite. A very low comb.

Triggers: I only had one example of White using dbl. set triggers and it didn't show if it was flint or perc. It did have the straighter rear trigger. Numerous Bedfords used the curved back one, especially Daniel Border, and I had built one of his before so I thought it would be acceptable. If iI have to flip a coin to choose I will take the set that has a sear bar on both triggers, not just the rear. Choices are limited. I could have straightened it but it didn't bother me and it fit the guard like it belonged.

Rat Tails: I don't buy the argument that flinters were all round tails. Look at the long slim lock mouldings ending in a leaf or teardrop on both his rifles in TKR. They are very typical to all the other rat tailed guns in the books.  I think they would have been shaped much differently if originally round tailed.

Shreckmiester: In Whisker's book "Bedford County Gunsmiths and Gunmakers" there is a William Defibaugh rifle with a patchbox almost identical to the one you posted! I knew I had seen it somewhere :)
Tom C.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 11:49:00 PM »
Tom, a hockey stick would consider itself fortunate if it looked half as god as that rifle you built.

H. Rupp's 1793 rifle drew me into flintlocks; prior to that I loved a lot of single shot cartridge guns.  But the butt of that Rupp piece really got to me.  Your Bedford has a lot of that Lehigh behind it, and you have certainly done it justice.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online t.caster

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
Just getting around to posting the first target for this latest "Caster Blaster"! It went off fast every time and had no misfires and no other problems, I am happy to report! The Green Mountain Barrel's square bottom rifling loaded easy every time, with no cleaning between shots. It's a start!

Tom C.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 11:52:23 PM »
 :D :D :D.... your stock finish is something to be envious of,.... very much like a fiddle I like,..... Congrats,... !!!

Online t.caster

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 01:36:20 AM »
Fiddler, Nice fiddle! I have one too, it was my Gr-Grandfathers, made in Belgium around 1890! I had it professionaly restored about 6 year ago. unfortunately the only musical instruments I play are the radio and CD player :'(

Tom C.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 05:01:33 AM »
 8) 8) 8).... nice one,.... !!! ...ln olde Ireland there is an expression relating to age,... "The older the fiddle,... The sweeter the music",... that is a family heirloom,.. hope someone in your family will take an interest in playing one day,... !!!