Author Topic: Art of the Gunsmith  (Read 1531 times)

JCurtiss

Art of the Gunsmith
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:30:57 AM »
FYI -- The Art of the Gunsmith is currently an exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, running through 2 September. 

Jason

JCurtiss

Re: Art of the Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:12:57 PM »
I saw the exhibit on Tuesday and it was excellent. 

It included interesting history from the matchlock period through the flintlock.  There were numerous wheellock guns on display that were exquisitely crafted.  The wheellock was an expensive gun to make, hence only the very rich could afford them. Most all the wheellocks being displayed were adorned with all sorts of inlays, both in the stock and on the metal parts. It often required several craftsman to make one gun. For instance, a cabinet maker would work the stock while another craftsman would do the inlays in the barrel while the gunsmith would  make the metal parts and perform the final fit-up and assembly.  Interestingly, I noticed that the position of the touch-hole varied quite a bit from gun to gun. Also, some of the touch holes appeared huge, (~3/32") perhaps this was a design intent or perhaps the hole was worn out.

Jason

JCurtiss

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
I'm curious as to what others thought about the exhibit, comments?

Jason

JCurtiss

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:28:25 AM »
Well this is disappointing.

There are over 2.3 million people in Houston, and no one appears to want to comment on the Art of the Gunsmith exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science in Houston?

Jason 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 04:07:23 AM »
Well this is disappointing.

There are over 2.3 million people in Houston, and no one appears to want to comment on the Art of the Gunsmith exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science in Houston?

Jason

Guess we should get them to join ALR!  It would have been a long drive for me, and other stuff happens, so I did not consider it.

Andover, Vermont