Author Topic: I want to knap my own  (Read 2715 times)

Offline recurve

I want to knap my own
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:31 AM »
For some strange reason I would like to knap some of my own gun flints. My problem is  living in Pa I don't seem to have a good source of local flint. So if I have to buy what is better Texas chert, Georgetown Flint or other. Any help is welcomed. What was Mr Pierce using & how can I get some?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: I want to knap my own
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:00:00 AM »
I use local chert.  It took me 50 pounds of rock to get my first dozen :-).

I can’t spare any.  Took me 3 hours of creek scouring Saturday to get enough rock for about 4 dozen flints.
Andover, Vermont

Offline recurve

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 04:00:03 AM »
Can you post a photo of your chert raw ,(as found) being worked and finished flints.
Thanks

Offline Col. Barnett

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 04:40:15 AM »
On August 31, at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds in Brookville, Pa is the 14 th annual Antique Firearms and Indian Artifact Show.  Good place to see original and contemporary guns and there are usually some flint knappers there who can get you supplied.
Have fun

Ric

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 07:02:04 AM »
Back when I was dead set to learn to knap my flints, frustrated with the sparky but no good for knapping local chert, I found spalls and chips of all sizes for sale in ebay.  Could yet be. Good Luck and happy knappin'
Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »
Ok. Here’s a rock

Here I worked it a bit and started driving flakes off one slanted edge.

Next I started driving mini flakes off the flake to level and square it then trimmed it to work as a fusil sized flint.

Though that one was ok I don’t need that size so reworked it to a rifle sized flint.

Next I set up the rock to yield nice blades (but short ones). Note the cone shape. Try to make your working edge like a styrofoam cup with a flat lid. That sort of angle. But this one will work. I expect about 8 “for sale” quality flints from this rock and maybe 6 for me. But it could all go bad and I get 4. That’s the risk with surface rock. Often has freeze cracks we can’t see.

Andover, Vermont

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
Recurve,
Please note the third picture from the bottom the bruises, scars and calluses are also whats required to knap good flints.

Kevin 
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
Recurve,
Please note the third picture from the bottom the bruises, scars and calluses are also whats required to knap good flints.

Kevin

Yeah, that’s pretty normal for me. Saturday while collecting and spalling I had blood on the rocks out in the creek bed. I don’t like heavy gloves as they are imprecise. Light gloves don’t last. So I often go without.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »
 Man Rich, those are great Pix, what did you take them with? Sharp, clear close-ups, detail Pix are always a problem for me.

Tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
Just my iPhone
Andover, Vermont

Offline recurve

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
That gives me a great starting point THANK YOU!

Offline JBJ

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
I saw these a couple of years ago and they might be useful to you.

and

J.B.

Offline recurve

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 11:22:03 PM »
Thanks I found that utube a while ago and it started me looking for flint/chert in my area north central pa>>>--->  :-[ no luck I hear Ohio is the closest source

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 02:03:59 AM »
There is good and very colorful jasper in Pennsylvania.  Eastern PA though. I’ve knapped some and made good gunflints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Cruz,_Pennsylvania
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 05:26:14 AM »
Most things I can stumble my way through and finish with a "reasonable" facsimile of the intended end product... Knapping flints is not in that group.

I've watched videos, read books, and studied the methodology... I have good workable rock naturally available to me...

The knack to knap does not dwell within me. Lol

Mike

Offline recurve

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 02:31:35 AM »
Ok time for an update I went to the endless mountain muzzle loader show & shoot and bought 2 pieces of Rich Pierces type of  white flint silver dollar size( not heat treated) used for fire starters and knapped 4 flints (50% waist) 2 really nice 2 ok . BUT they spark is fantastic.  I need to find a source (wish it was local :(

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 02:33:20 AM »
Come on out to St. Looie and we’ll go gather some up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
I too would enjoy being able to practice to knap my own flints, but there are no natural sources of flint anywhere within a couple day's drive of me.

Offline recurve

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 03:59:18 AM »
Ok this falls under weird but true I found flint in pa.    It was around the plants at MicKy :o Ds yup the hamburger   place. Not the best a lot of freeze cracks but it does spark , I was able to make 2 rough gun flints that work in my least sparky lock(traditions Tennessee ) scratches glass