Author Topic: Smaller than usual smoothbores (~45 caliber)  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Skychief

Smaller than usual smoothbores (~45 caliber)
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:37:21 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing about smoothbores of 45 caliber or so.  I'm thinking one might be a nice rig for deer with prb, and close range squirrel with shotloads.

Anyone having experience with something of this nature, please tell about roundball accuracy and/or patterns and shotload used.

Thanks very much.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Smaller than usual smoothbores (~45 caliber)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:35:10 AM »
I don't have a .45 smoothbore but do have three rifles in that caliber and a smoothbore .62.  Ball is very accurate from the .62 at at least 50 yards and has taken deer.  My .45s have taken more deer (one shot each) than I can recall.  I think a .45 smoothbore would be both deer and squirrel capable.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:32:04 AM »
Thanks hanshi.  Good to see you!

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
I had an original smoothbore in my shop earlier this year. It appeared to be .47 cal. It was still loaded with shot. I cannot comment on how it patterned, though.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:38:06 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
I have an original smooth rifle by Christian Seibert/Charles Seibert that is approximately .45 caliber. Although it's in excellent condition I have not fired it. I don't think smooth smallness were all that unusual.
Mark
Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
I own a NOS .47 caliber 30” OTR barrel that I got from Dixie many years ago. I think these were more common than most think. I believe in the time before choking ( be it jug, or tapered) became known, the best way to get a tighter pattern was to reduce the bore size. That being said, one has to remember that the shot from a small bore like this will produce a long shot column that isn’t all that good for wing shooting, but works fine for more fixed targets like turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels.

Hungry Horse

Offline Skychief

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 12:22:51 AM »
Nordnecker, Smokin Buck and Hungry Horse.....Thanks for your replies.

You've done nothing to diminish my thought that such a gun could be very versatile, and, historic.

Best regards, Skychief.

muzzlenz

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:36:50 AM »
Having bowled a magpie (considered vermin here) yesterday with a 410 shotgun I was thinking a muzzle loading version would be quite useful/cool

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »
I built up a 1/2stock .44 smoothie 1/2 stock, decades ago. I used it in the 80's for snowshoe hares, as well as for the trap match at the local rendezvous. I jug-choked the tube as best I could, leaving a 1" end choke (bore parallel section in front of the jug choke)
I used 45gr. 2F Goex and 1/2oz #8 hard shot. Broke 10 straight with it, beating several 20's,  3 12 bores and a SXS 10 BORE.
For rb load I used  .433 ball and .020 patch. Was good enough for head shooting bunnies. Wish my 20bore shot as well with patched RB's at 50 yards.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 06:04:14 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing about smoothbores of 45 caliber or so.  I'm thinking one might be a nice rig for deer with prb, and close range squirrel with shotloads.

Anyone having experience with something of this nature, please tell about roundball accuracy and/or patterns and shotload used.

Thanks very much.

Best regards, Skychief.

Based on my experience with 50 cal smooth rifle I rate them as basically useless.
Shot patterns sucked and was not capable of small game accuracy at 25 yards. Best accuracy at 50-60 yards was with 110 gr of FF. Hardly economical for small game.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 06:09:19 AM »
I don't have a .45 smoothbore but do have three rifles in that caliber and a smoothbore .62.  Ball is very accurate from the .62 at at least 50 yards and has taken deer.  My .45s have taken more deer (one shot each) than I can recall.  I think a .45 smoothbore would be both deer and squirrel capable.
OK define "very accurate", not trying to be a jerk but apparently your very accurate is different than mine (5-6" group at 50 yards will kill deer), My very accurate is all shots touching at 50-100.
As I stated in a previous post the 50 cal smooth rifle I built was not squirrel capable at 25 yard probably 3 of 5 shots would hit a squirrel and the pattern was flaky as well for a tough critter like a Squirrel.

Dan

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
I had a 28 bore  many years ago which performed much better than I thought possible for such a small gun. It was fun to shoot and patterned very very well. That said, the shot string was rather long, which isn't noticeable on stationary targets.
It handled like a dream, which was part of the appeal. In my limited experience, the small bores handle smaller shot better than the larger bores. As an example, my 20 doesn't seem to like anything smaller than #6 and prefers #4 .

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
I had a 28 bore  many years ago which performed much better than I thought possible for such a small gun. It was fun to shoot and patterned very very well. That said, the shot string was rather long, which isn't noticeable on stationary targets.
It handled like a dream, which was part of the appeal. In my limited experience, the small bores handle smaller shot better than the larger bores. As an example, my 20 doesn't seem to like anything smaller than #6 and prefers #4 .
Ditto on everything you have said about 28bore and 20 bore, my exact same experience. My 28 bore had a 48" barrel and shot a super long shot string., Nearly impossible on flying targets that were crossing but ideal for squirrels sitting still out to maybe 25-30 yards.
  I have built a .50 smoothbore and just sold it but never shot it. I would assume when comparing it to a .55 it would do almost as well and probably better with round ball. There was a guy at F-ship that had a smooth .40 that kicked everybody's but. Shot just like a rifled .40 to at least 60 yards.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »
I built up a 1/2stock .44 smoothie 1/2 stock, decades ago. I used it in the 80's for snowshoe hares, as well as for the trap match at the local rendezvous. I jug-choked the tube as best I could, leaving a 1" end choke (bore parallel section in front of the jug choke)
I used 45gr. 2F Goex and 1/2oz #8 hard shot. Broke 10 straight with it, beating several 20's,  3 12 bores and a SXS 10 BORE.
For rb load I used  .433 ball and .020 patch. Was good enough for head shooting bunnies. Wish my 20bore shot as well with patched RB's at 50 yards.
You could probably break more target with it than I could with a modern trap gun... ;D ;D Never learned to shoot a shotgun and killed most pheasants in Iowa and grouse in Montana with a pistol of one short or another. But I think its illegal in MT now, would have to check the regs again. Fortunately this was back when I was a big game guide way to long ago the think about. Had a good Appaloosa guelding, about as pretty as they get, smooth gaited and a fast walker almost too fasat for a pack string.... This was supper. Had rode out to the trail head but the horse trailer did not arrive til the next day... 6" 50 cal belt pistol with 45 gr of FFF just makes a hole in a grouse. Not meat loss at all.

Dan

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »
OK define "very accurate", not trying to be a jerk but apparently your very accurate is different than mine (5-6" group at 50 yards will kill deer), My very accurate is all shots touching at 50-100.
As I stated in a previous post the 50 cal smooth rifle I built was not squirrel capable at 25 yard probably 3 of 5 shots would hit a squirrel and the pattern was flaky as well for a tough critter like a Squirrel.
Dan
[/quote]

By "accurate", talking 20ga smoothbore here, I'm referring to 3 shots under 3" at 50 yards, repeatable.  This has worked on deer and on running shots.  I don't wing shoot or hunt small game (except turkey) with shot.  This level of accuracy won't lose a deer even beyond 50 yards.  Rifles & handguns (my passion) are a separate issue.  I've fired many 50 yard groups (5 shots) into one hole with both; that's my rifle/handgun requirement.  I've never owned a smoothbore prior to my current 20 ga.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.