Author Topic: breech plug question  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: breech plug question
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 03:18:04 PM »
I have seen one or two older [ not antique ] barrels which had course threaded plugs. Today, they're all finer threaded.
The only barrel /plug I've had which I was genuinely concerned about re safety, was on an import "Bess"
Now that was scary !!    Never fired it again after I saw how it was done.  As mentioned before, in your case , I would be concerned about corrosion in the long term. I think that teflon tape would be a remedy, but since the maker is re doing the plug, that's the best solution you can have . 

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
I would pull the plug from the barrel as soon as I got it back and make sure of the fit.
I have had to wait years for one barrel manufacturer to get my parts back to me, get a timeline as well as a promise.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »
How often in your experience has a breech plug given way and injured someone? Just curious.

I have been building guns since the late 50's and I have yet to hear of a breach plug blowing out.  But---- I once bought a African trade gun and I think it would have blown the breach plug if I could have gotten it to fire. Fortunately the frizzen was too soft and it wouldn't fire.
   On a normal barrel it takes about 4 to 5 times as much pressure to blow the plug than it does to blow the barrel. Figure the difference in area.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:51 AM »
Ken, a doctor friend back in the the sixties breached a rifle,he was not a gunsmith. He shot it many times till the BP finally let go. He had a scar above his right eye till day he died.