Author Topic: Johnson City School Gum Makers  (Read 2177 times)

Olesmokey

Johnson City School Gum Makers
« on: August 26, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
I just found some nice guns by Hacker Martin and Lester Smith on the Premier Auction at Rockislandauction.com.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Johnson City School Gum Makers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:39:40 PM »
I just found some nice guns by Hacker Martin and Lester Smith on the Premier Auction at Rockislandauction.com.
Those of us that were planning on bidding on those guns would like to thank you for pointing them out to everyone. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:30:16 PM »
Shhhhhhhhhh
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 12:53:06 AM »
Why is Hacker considered 'Johnson City?' I understand the Lester Smith connection but I thought Hacker was in VA somewhere.  Frankly when I think Johnson City (we're talking TN, right?) I think of Louis Smith who really was cranking those mothers out.  Apparently no connection to Lester.  And Lousi knew his business too, there are a couple of guys around here with Louis Smith rifles and while they seem a little "too perfect" to my eye, the guy was one $#*! of a gun stocker and especially engraver.  I would have liked to have sat down and had a good talk with him.  He sure made a $#*! of a lot of rifles, it seems.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:02:54 AM »
Hacker Martin was from Virgunia but he worked in Gray, TN, about a stones throw north of Johnson City on I-26.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
Hacker Martin was from Virgunia but he worked in Gray, TN, about a stones throw north of Johnson City on I-26.

If I remember right he was From Tenn. and moved to Appomattox Va. where he died in '70. 

Tim C.

PS: Has anyone ever heard of Bobby Scott(?) Carr? He worked with Hacker and I was told he finished some guns Hacker had started. I met him after Hacker's death but have never seen a gun attributed to him. TC

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 10:56:42 PM »
Wonder did the Hacker Martin rifle get sold? thanks, Dave 8) 8)

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:52:12 PM »
Yes. It sold for $3450.00. I bought the two signed Lester Smith rifles.
Stop Marxism in America