Author Topic: Had fun today  (Read 4291 times)

chapmans

Had fun today
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:35:25 AM »
 I went to Larry's today and we finished up the lock testing, I will let him tell you all about it. After a great lunch we went to the range and tried out his new walnut Lancaster, what a great rifle, it will make a great hunting and woodswalk rifle.

These were the first two shots out of the barrel, not too far off.
   Steve C.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Had fun today
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
We really did have a good time.  The lock testing Steve mentioned was the flintlock vs percussion lock tests we started probably a month ago. We reported on the small Siler and the mule ear.  Today we did the same test to a stock Siler and one with modifications including a roller frizzen.   I'll try to get the stats ready tomorrow.

The Lancaster Steve mentioned is the curly Walnut Lancaster that Jim C. posted in the for sale section of ALR.  I bought it from Jim at Friendship.  It was superbly assembled, and I am trying to do the gun justice in adding the decorations.  So far the for-stock and butt stock , and cheek piece moulding have been done.  But, I was having trouble waiting to touch off a few.  I'm sure you have been tempted like that some time or other.  

We didn't arrive at any major load decisions - just had fun.  I doubt if there is much in the way of windage changes necessary.  I'll probably take a little off the front sight, but want to play with patching before that's done.   It does show tendencies to shoot well dirty.  

I won't worry about shooting it again until the gun is done.  I'd like to be able to shoot it in the woods walk at Friendship this fall.   I will be off my feet because of my knee next week, so it may push me to be done.  Maybe  I just need a deadline.  Anybody else like that?

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:18:31 PM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
Hey Pletch, I noticed a lot of grey arriving on that top notch of yours, you're too young for that...........Don

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Where is the range located?  I like that red house in the background.  It kinda reminds me of my house in Downers Grove.

As an aside, your knee surgery will force you to sit in one place so you can devote your full attention to doing the details on your gun.  If life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Hey Pletch, I noticed a lot of grey arriving on that top notch of yours, you're too young for that...........Don
Grecian Formula would fix that ;D

Barbara threw mine out ::) ;)

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:41 PM »
Looks like the rifle wants to shoot. Nice to have a barrel that throws it's balls in line with the centreline. Of course, some of that depends on the load.
Looking good Larry - also looking foreward to the test results.

chapmans

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
Where is the range located?  I like that red house in the background.  It kinda reminds me of my house in Downers Grove.

Dave,
  Thats the Stone's Trace Tavern it has a Cromwell Indiana address, I think it's about halfway between my house and Larry's house, it's an historical site/ museum, our range is on the grounds, it's a pretty cool place but I suppose we all just take it for granted, next time I go over (Sat to shoot) I'll try and remember to take some pics of the rest of the grounds it's really a cool place. I posted some pics of a woodswalk in April that was shot there also.
  Steve 

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »

Don, Roger,
Let me think - I'm gray because:
   a. I'm trying to carve walnut instead of maple.
   b. Retiring from teaching left me with nothing to do but grow gray hair.
   c. I dyed my hair gray because I looked too young.
   d. I thought gray hair went better with the extra weight around the middle.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

As an aside, your knee surgery will force you to sit in one place so you can devote your full attention to doing the details on your gun.  If life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.

Steve pretty well filled you in on the tavern.  Our club started in '77; this old tavern was our meeting place for a number of years.  BTW, it was a halfway stage stop between Fort Wayne and Goshen back in the mid 1800s.

Your idea about time for the gun may work.  I have to get my vise lower tho. 

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
Looks like the rifle wants to shoot. Nice to have a barrel that throws it's balls in line with the centreline. Of course, some of that depends on the load.
Looking good Larry - also looking foreward to the test results.

Daryl,
I think she'll do well.  I hope to work up a couple of loads for it.  It's heavy enough to handle heavier loads without punishing the shooter.  I'll also want a light woodwalk type load that can be loaded without a short starter.   When I shot David Prices' hunting gun at Friendship, I shot 65 gr fffg Swiss.  I don't know what the patch thickness was; David provided that.  His gun shot well dirty, and this gun appears to as well. 

I have to get my mind on finishing the carving.  It won't get a patch box; wood's too nice to cover it up.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com