Author Topic: Going rate for lead  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
Going rate for lead
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:45:13 PM »
I have a guy offering me partial trade for a modern rifle in lead pipe that he has melted into ingots.  He is offering 200 pounds of lead.  What is a ballpark going rate for that?  He is thinking it is worth about $175 in trade value.
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Jerry

Re: Going rate for lead
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »
Because of world stock piles of lead prices remain low. Going rate currently is 50 cents per pound.

Offline JPK

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:37:27 PM »
The lowest price I’ve seen lately was $1.50 a pound at a scrap yard. It was pipe and sheet and was dirty.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
I have a guy offering me partial trade for a modern rifle in lead pipe that he has melted into ingots.  He is offering 200 pounds of lead.  What is a ballpark going rate for that?  He is thinking it is worth about $175 in trade value.

Well -- you are just taking his word it is pure lead from pipe maybe it is and maybe it's not. I would first test a sample of it using a proven method. If it checks out then negotiate a price that you can both live with. If it was me - I would go for .50 cents/pound at the most.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline retired fella

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 10:15:16 PM »
I have been buying lead from recyclers for years and pay $1.00/lb.  Normally 25-30 lb at a time.  The benefit to me is I can see what I am buying.  Xray room lead, old roof flashing, etc.  I use the old thumbnail test and have had no difficulties.  As was said earlier buying ingots who is to say it is truly pure lead other than the seller.

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 01:22:54 AM »
I agree with all of you. My concern is purity and I am not going to pay more than .50 a pound without knowing for sure.
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 03:38:34 AM »
Problem with pipe lead is you don't know if it has had joint solder melted with it I got some lead pipe once and was able to cut away the soldered joints.

I hope 50 cents is the going rate cause I'm getting low. :)
Mike Lee

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:12:15 PM »
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/Lead.html

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-ingots-wire/

I recently paid about $0.75 for mixed scrap from individuals.  Mixed stuff, some pure, some alloy some lino, one solder ingot.  In California the metal recyclers now refuse to sell to individuals who do not have a special hazmat licence.  The metal recyclers will however pay a very low price to individuals, like 10-cents. 

I think the price to pay is what the material is worth to you.  If I were out of lead, I would pay $3 for clean linotype and $2 for clean pure bricks.  But out here it is tougher to find due to government meddling.  Looking around and checking with club members can pay off.  I see Craigslist ads offering to pay $1. 

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:50:26 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 05:24:29 AM »
Well I lucked out. I got rid of my last modern rifle and part of the deal was the lead as mentioned. It is soft and pure and after weighing it and calculating I got over 200 pounds at just under .50 cents a pound.
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline coupe

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 05:49:51 AM »
Hey Guys, I just contact roofers they mostly give away the old lead boots when reroofing a house. The boots are pure lead some have roof cement on them easily scraped off. Melted into .530 balls are very accurate and a great price.
coupe

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
Because of world stock piles of lead prices remain low. Going rate currently is 50 cents per pound.

That is what Taylor and I paid for the last we bought.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V