Author Topic: Rappahannock forge muskets.  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Rappahannock forge muskets.
« on: September 01, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
Does anyone have any Rev war muskets made at the Rappahannock forge with the lock marked IPerkins?. Of course the I was the English way of using a J, as in Joseph. I am looking for a photo I can copy, as well as a photo of the musket itself. The stamp is on the inside of the lock...Thanks...Dan Fruth
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Rappahannock forge muskets.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »
What would be the point exactly?
Its obviously the lock maker and he is not making locks anymore.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline vanu

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »
Dan Fruth, I would contact Eric Goldstein at Colonial Williamsburg 757.229.1000.

CWF has at least three Rappahannock/Fredericksburg muskets and he likely has additional information that he may be able to share. Might want to check Giles Cromwell's recent book as well; i think he has a couple examples nicely illustrated.

Bruce

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
What would be the point exactly?
Its obviously the lock maker and he is not making locks anymore.
Dan

Perhaps he wants to compare his stamped lock to pictures of another?
If I remember correctly  I. Perkins was a government inspector. 

Just remembered.
I'll correct myself Henry Perkins was the gov inspector 1812 period.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:17:37 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the help. Perkins was the son of John Perkins, an English trained lock maker, and Joseph took on the trade. In the 1760s he left the Church of England to join the Moravian community, and in 1768, or 69 came to America, New York I think, and then early in the 1770s to Philadelphia. The Oerter rifle with the griffin carved behind the cheek piece has one of his locks in it, and it's date is 1775. I'm putting this in an exhibit and need photos of his work, that is why Mr Phariss.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 06:28:48 PM »
Dan...was this the same Perkins who did all of the repairs during the Rev War?

WESTbury

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:59:17 PM »
just a little information on Perkin, many of the members of this Forum may already know.

There is quite a bit of info on Perkin (not Perkins) in Harpers Ferry Armory and the New Technology by Merritt Roe Smith, 1977 and a whole book, Harpers Ferry Arsenal & Joseph Perkin by Rick Hudak and Stuart E. Brown. 2012, about Perkin.

Perkin worked for John Strode, manager of Rappahannock Forge, who " Recognizing Perkin's ability as a "useful ingenious man", Strode "kept him chiefly at Gunlocks", a task assigned only to the most skilled artisan." Harpers Ferry and the New Technology , Merritt Roe Smith, page 38.

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »
The Browning Museum at Rock Island Arsenal (Rock Island, Illinois) has a Rappa. Forge rifled wall gun.  You might want to contact the curator.