Author Topic: Knife and spike hawk set  (Read 1621 times)

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
Knife and spike hawk set
« on: September 02, 2019, 02:09:47 AM »
Knife and spike hawk for artist David Hasler.  Delivered this morning in Franklin, Tennessee, very nice to meet Dave in person and to meet his family as well.  The knife is 1084 carbon steel, forged on coal, 8 inch x 1 1/4 inch x 3/16 inch blade with a pewter filled iron bolster, octagon curly maple handle with aqua fortis and a silver end cap and peened through tang.  Honored that he has added some of my work to his collection.

Online wattlebuster

Re: Knife and spike hawk set
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
I like it. Do ya have a pick of the hawk
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WH1

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »
Both knife and hawk are very nicely done. Your choice of wood and finish make these two items look like they have been suspended in time  ;) 8)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline WH1

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
Both knife and hawk are very nicely done. Your choice of wood and finish make these two items look like they have been suspended in time  ;) 8)!

thank you I love working with Curly maple.  it has a depth and texture that is beautiful and I am always amazed at the transformation that takes place when using aqua fortis when you apply the heat, it goes from an ugly grey green color to that awesome dark red/brown color and then when you add oil it becomes truly beautiful.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »

thank you I love working with Curly maple.  it has a depth and texture that is beautiful and I am always amazed at the transformation that takes place when using aqua fortis when you apply the heat, it goes from an ugly grey green color to that awesome dark red/brown color and then when you add oil it becomes truly beautiful.
Yeah, I made a rifle several years back for a fellow. He picked the blank out himself and pretty much demanded that he be present when I stained the stock. I put the aqua fortis on then let it dry to that ugly green that you were referencing. I asked him how he liked the color and he just about passed out. Priceless.
Stop Marxism in America

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »

Beautiful spikehawk Todd. Thanks for the pic ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WH1

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »

Yeah, I made a rifle several years back for a fellow. He picked the blank out himself and pretty much demanded that he be present when I stained the stock. I put the aqua fortis on then let it dry to that ugly green that you were referencing. I asked him how he liked the color and he just about passed out. Priceless.
[/quote]

Wayne you are a bad man, remember Karma is a bitch! ;D