Author Topic: First attempt at a turned edge  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Mike from OK

First attempt at a turned edge
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
It's a lazy Sunday here, temps are still in the mid to upper 90's outside so I figured I would try my hand at a turned edge... I used a remnant of Tandy Frontier Bison. I believe it is around 5 oz weight, maybe even 6.

My little skiving tool doesn't work very well. Or more likely I haven't learned to use it well.

The thread is hemp. It's very strong but kind of a pain to stitch with. I will see about getting some good linen thread for future endeavors.

I learned some more by making some obvious mistakes. Guess I'll keep at it and try to improve... Practice makes perfect right?

Mike

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: First attempt at a turned edge
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
Mike, the stitching looks just fine, but working with other than veg tanned leather can be the real challenge, too much stretch in them.  Oh, and about that 'practice makes perfect' thought, I was told once or twice by others better than me said, "only perfect practice makes perfect".  Makes perfect sense I guess, LoL. 

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mike from OK

Re: First attempt at a turned edge
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
Mike, the stitching looks just fine, but working with other than veg tanned leather can be the real challenge, too much stretch in them.  Oh, and about that 'practice makes perfect' thought, I was told once or twice by others better than me said, "only perfect practice makes perfect".  Makes perfect sense I guess, LoL.

That bison leather isn't bad for stretch/springiness... At least not near as bad as the deer hide I tried using a while back. Lol

Mike