Author Topic: East Tennesee Rifle  (Read 2079 times)

Offline gibster

East Tennesee Rifle
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:53:17 PM »
Labor Day Weekend was good to me. At least I think so. I visited some family and had the opportunity to pick up a well used, but what I consider a nice example of an East Tennessee rifle. There isn't a makers mark, so I have no idea who may have made this piece. But there are a number of knowledgeable collectors here that may have a good idea who may have made this one.  I think that the entry thimble and the cheek piece will give an indication as to where it was made and the guard may narrow it down some more.
The barrel is 47-inches long and has been set back about 1 1/2-inches, probably when converted to percussion.  If you look at the picture showing the top of the tang, you can see that it has a cut-out for a flint hammer, and it's pretty obvious that the lock isn't the original one. So I feel confident in saying that it was originally a flintlock.  The breech measures 0.972-inches, the waist measures 0.909-inches and the muzzle measures 1.020-inches. It measures to about a .43-caliber. The stock is Walnut and has a few repairs on each side of the tang and along the trigger guard. No wood is replaced from what I can tell. The cracks were repaired with wood screws to stabilize everything and to keep the rifle in service.   There are a few other cracks as seen in the pictures. As always, opinions and comments are welcome. If you would like to see pictures of a particular area, let me know and I'll get them posted.

Offline Hlbly

Re: East Tennesee Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:27:27 PM »
How is the nose cap attached and does it have pewter poured in the end?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:55:19 PM »
Nice, love the cheekpiece.
Andover, Vermont

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:22:17 AM »
How is the nose cap attached and does it have pewter poured in the end?

It looks like there may be 2-rivets under the ram rod holding the nose cap to the stock, hard to tell though.  There is no pewter poured in the end.
Thanks

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 05:08:31 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Sullivan County Tennessee,... I'd wager Sam Glover or someone associated with him,... OR,... maybe an associate of the Gross family,.. I have seen rifles by Glover with that entry pipe and breech tang,.... looking forward to other opinions,....!!!.... CCF

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »
The Kellars used that three screw Jamestown style tang and so did Samuel Glover. It is obviously not a Kellar, so I would go with Samuel Glover until someone proved me wrong.

Offline gibster

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
I appreciate the info. I have a Keller and I agree that it's not one of his rifles. I suspected that it was from the Sullivan County area, but it was only a guess on my part.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »
Nice find. Is that the small "star " punching behing the lock screw that is being discussed on the Soddy thread? Sure looks like it to me. Best regards to y'all, dave f 8) 8)

oops, on closer magnification,maybe not. Oh well, old tired eyeballs. 8) 8)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D...Gibster,... as an aside to the subject at hand  ... how about posting some photos of that fine Lawing rifle I was coveting  over in Knoxville,... ????

Offline dstock

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Mighty nice looking rifle. Just the kind I love looking at!

Thanks for posting and God Bless

Doug
God Bless
Doug B

Offline gibster

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:44:37 PM »
CCF - You got it.