Author Topic: Jacob Dickert Rifle Display  (Read 7250 times)

Offline utseabee

Re: Jacob Dickert Rifle Display
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 12:11:48 AM »

The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 12:27:21 AM »
I wish the pictures came out better, but they give an idea of what was there. There were a lot of quality rifles there, these were just the ones that I had permission to post. I have some better ones from the Dickert display if I can get them from my phone to the computer.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2019, 12:48:50 AM »
I think all of these surviving pieces are absolutely wonderful and I especially think the current owners who permit them to be displayed for the rest of us are also wonderful.

This being said, I think a fairly strong case could be made for the Lion/Lamb being an early Oerter rifle and I do not think the two tailed dog is a CS rifle at all - I think it's a period, regional (Northampton County) 'copy' of what was likely a style for a couple of years in the 1760s.

The gunshop at CS was not the only place manufacturing arms in Northampton County in the 1760s.  Within such a regional , tight market, one has to assume that everyone working in the trade was surely aware of what each other was doing, and subsequently making what was 'stylish' to sell.

JMHO!  For the sake of conversation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:52:39 AM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

WESTbury

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2019, 01:58:25 AM »
Many thanks to UTSEABEE & MAC for the pictures from the show!

Both of you are Gentlemen and Scholars.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 02:41:24 AM »
Many thanks to UTSEABEE & MAC for the pictures from the show!

Both of you are Gentlemen and Scholars.

Mac puts a lot of hard work into this show each year and does an outstanding job organizing it.  The people who have the tables there and the KRA members are very gracious to allow us the opportunity to examine and handle their rifles. I had no involvement with the show and just asked Mac's permission to post pictures. All of those pictures were from the KRA display. I am just a patron of the show who goes to enjoy all of the original longrifles and learn about them. I really appreciate the fact that we have people who are willing to share their property and knowledge with the rest of us.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 03:06:10 AM »
I think all of these surviving pieces are absolutely wonderful and I especially think the current owners who permit them to be displayed for the rest of us are also wonderful.

This being said, I think a fairly strong case could be made for the Lion/Lamb being an early Oerter rifle and I do not think the two tailed dog is a CS rifle at all - I think it's a period, regional (Northampton County) 'copy' of what was likely a style for a couple of years in the 1760s.

The gunshop at CS was not the only place manufacturing arms in Northampton County in the 1760s.  Within such a regional , tight market, one has to assume that everyone working in the trade was surely aware of what each other was doing, and subsequently making what was 'stylish' to sell.

JMHO!  For the sake of conversation.

I don't have enough knowledge to have an opinion on this, but I love those rifles. I'll be curious to see any replies to it.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 04:05:20 AM »
I love them too and I think they're probably two of the most interesting American rifles of any period.  They check all the boxes in terms of quality, architecture and decorative symbolism.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2019, 05:30:44 AM »
I wish the pictures came out better, but they give an idea of what was there. There were a lot of quality rifles there, these were just the ones that I had permission to post. I have some better ones from the Dickert display if I can get them from my phone to the computer.

Open them with microsoft office picture manager and adjust the brightness.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2019, 06:28:50 AM »

Open them with microsoft office picture manager and adjust the brightness.

Thank You. These should be better

Offline utseabee

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2019, 06:31:42 AM »

Offline utseabee

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »

Offline spgordon

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
Thanks for these photos (for taking them and taking the time to post all of them)--and it looks like it was an amazing show, which I wish I hadn't missed.

I also think it is a great service of the owners of these rifles to make them available for folks to look it. Very grateful for that.

Thanks for the reply regarding the Albrechts--I didn't realize that Morphy's had taken the lion/lamb there. Fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:25:16 PM by spgordon »
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline VP

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2019, 02:24:11 AM »
I also took some photos of the different display and they will be posted in the near future on the Facebook page of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.

VP

WESTbury

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Thanks for the "heads up", looking forward to seeing them.