Author Topic: Maple Handled Large Bladed Knife!  (Read 3467 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Maple Handled Large Bladed Knife!
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »
I don't do a lot of really big knives and do even fewer wood handles. Blade is forged from 1084 and is a hair over 9.5 inches. Handle is curly maple and other than the pilot hole for the tang is completely hand done. Through tang peened over a steel washer that was at some point plated with something that gave it a brassy appearance. Bolster is poured using a suggestion from knifemaker, fellow police officer and friend Chad Matthews.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Maple Handled Large Bladed Knife!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
 That is a Good looing knife. Looks like it would make a great Chef's knife, as in a daily user.

Tim

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Love the lines. Nice work.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
That's some fine work.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »
Oh yes.  That is a good looking piece of work there sir.  I like the lines, and especially the finishes.  A little big for my use, but a desirable knife all around.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
Oh yes.  That is a good looking piece of work there sir.  I like the lines, and especially the finishes.  A little big for my use, but a desirable knife all around.  God Bless,  Marc

Big knives are cool, but not all that practical. Some really love them though.

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 12:28:13 AM »
Great looking knife. Very nice work!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
I like the blade but not too crazy about the handles shape or size - just me ;D :-\
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »
I like the blade but not too crazy about the handles shape or size - just me ;D :-\

That's why I enjoy building what I enjoy building. It does not have to suit anyone else.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:23 AM »

That's why I enjoy building what I enjoy building. It does not have to suit anyone else.

But you would be surprised at how many people it does suit. Something just a little different catches one's eye and it's gone. I've had horns that went though 3 or 4 shows and all of a sudden somebody walks, picks it (no others) up and says this one just spoke to me and it's gone.  "To each his own"

Tim

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 01:43:50 AM »

But you would be surprised at how many people it does suit. Something just a little different catches one's eye and it's gone. I've had horns that went though 3 or 4 shows and all of a sudden somebody walks, picks it (no others) up and says this one just spoke to me and it's gone.  "To each his own"

Tim

This one sold about 5 minutes after posting to share on my personal FB page. I had debating keeping it because it feels good in my hands and it's very well balanced. Other with larger hands have also said it feels good to them. Like you said...there is always that one person whom a certain  item will catch their eyes.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 01:20:53 AM »
I’m glad you sold it. It deserved to go. The lines reminds me of a Hershel House made knife. Super stuff.

JGG

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 03:05:55 AM »
That was a beautiful knife.

Offline DougS

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »
I recently had the opportunity to handle this knife, as the new owner asked me to make a sheath for it.

Mr. McClure sure makes a dandy knife. The feel and balance of this large knife is excellent, not to mention it sharpened right nice!

Please see pics of the sheath to accompany this fine knife.

Regards,

Doug

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 11:54:23 PM »
I think this knife says you should make more knives with maple handles.   :-) 

BTW, that handle design is of course period correct.  Attached is a poor quality photo (my apologies) of a knife handle dug up at the Yorktown battlefield, and on display in their museum. 

Keep up the great work sir. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 03:27:41 AM »
I recently had the opportunity to handle this knife, as the new owner asked me to make a sheath for it.

Mr. McClure sure makes a dandy knife. The feel and balance of this large knife is excellent, not to mention it sharpened right nice!

Please see pics of the sheath to accompany this fine knife.

Regards,

Doug

Sir, that is one fine sheath!!! Thank you for for the kind words. I will be sending you a PM...I like that sheath work!

Offline Clint

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 04:11:53 AM »
JC,
I like your knife a lot! The larger (longer) a knife gets, the more difficult it is to harden. They like to warp and they like to set all of your oil on fire.  I also really like the small anvil with no pritchel hole. Any markings on it?
Clint

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 06:04:46 AM »
JC,
I like your knife a lot! The larger (longer) a knife gets, the more difficult it is to harden. They like to warp and they like to set all of your oil on fire.  I also really like the small anvil with no pritchel hole. Any markings on it?
Clint

If you are talking about the anvil the knife is setting on it is 175# and it is marked with stone-weight. The horn does have a step, but other than than that its a later 18th century or early 19th century anvil in really great shape...it is my regular forging anvil.

There is an anvil in the background that is an early 5th footed anvil that is pretty early...likely mid to early 18th century.  Unfortunately the foot came off at some point a really long time ago. You can tell the weld did not set well. The small piece has no marking. 

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 02:07:29 AM »
I think you did an excellent job on this knife.

The shape mimics almost exactly a carbon steel French chef's knife. The French like a knife that is not as deep at the heel as American knives, so the weight is less, and the balance usually much better.

You could fillet fish. Butcher meat. Cut vegetables. And perform almost any kitchen task with this knife.

For me, shorten the blade to 7.75" long. And, put a full radius on the back of the knife for 2" in front of the handle, so that if you decide to choke up your grip the normal sharp edges won't dig into the web of your thumb and forefinger.

As a former chef, 9 inches is as long of a blade that I want to handle at my age(65).

The handle looks quite comfortable to me.

I also like the sheath very much.

Kudos to the both of you.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 02:41:43 AM »
I’ve got  an anvil that is almost identical in shape and 178 pounds but the edges are rounded. And my favorite kitchen knife is very similar in shape; just a different and bigger handle. That plus a folding knife would do everything. 

Andover, Vermont