Author Topic: Ambrose Lawing Rifle  (Read 2665 times)

Offline gibster

Ambrose Lawing Rifle
« on: September 06, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
Cades Cove Fiddler asked that I post a few pictures of an Ambrose Lawing rifle that I have the privilege to be the current caretaker of.  This rifle isn't signed, but I don't think there is any doubt who the maker was.  The barrel is original length at 42-inches and about .36-caliber. The stock is Maple and there are no repairs that I can find.  If you want pictures of a particular area, let me know and I'll get them posted.  As always, comments and opinions are always welcome.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Ambrose Lawing Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
Beautiful rifle!  I'm impressed with the timing on all the screws.  I haven't normally seen that on TN rifles.  Thank you so much for sharing the pictures!  Is the end of the nosecap steel or poured?  Well made rifle in great shape.

Cheers,
ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 11:29:31 PM »
Thanks Ken. The end of the nose cap is steel.

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 02:38:34 AM »
gibster:

You made a bad mistake.

This should have been posted under "For Sale" and priced at around $250.

Regards,
MAS

Happiness is an Ambrose Lawing rifle.  And if you have two, that's "double happiness"....old Chinese saying.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 04:27:22 AM »
 :D :D :D... Thanx, Gib,...those lighter spots on the stock are where I wore the finish off while handling her in Knoxville,... !!!... I'm sure is LAWING,.. that is a great heel on the butt-plate,... amazing rifle,... and, Molly,... if she ever decides to leave home,... she & I do have this thing going, you know,... !!! ... HaHaHa... regards.... CCF :-X :-X :-X     

Offline Ezra

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 05:21:49 AM »
Ambrose Lawing has always been one of my very favorite builders.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
Gibster,

Nice rifle - I like it.

Buck

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
Wow. Super.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
It's great to see these details. Is the tang in two pieces? It looks like the over the comb part is separate from the barrel tang.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline gibster

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »
 It looks like the over the comb part is separate from the barrel tang.

Nordnecker - I had noticed that as well. I haven't taken the barrel out and that is the only way that I know of to tell.  It could be that it broke there when someone in the past had taken it out. Don't know.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
If you were ever to bring that to the Princeton show I sure would like to take a tracing of it. I have a full set of mounts for an AL that Myron Carlson forged. I hope that not all AL guns had the tang over the comb.... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »
Mike - I'm planning to be there for the February show, depending on the weather.  As the show gets closer, I'll let you know. All the Lawing rifles that I've seen have over the comb tangs. But with your skills, I don't think that will be an issue.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 08:46:51 PM »
Mike - I'm planning to be there for the February show, depending on the weather.  As the show gets closer, I'll let you know. All the Lawing rifles that I've seen have over the comb tangs. But with your skills, I don't think that will be an issue.
I admire the confidence you have in my abilities. :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline gibster

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 11:01:33 PM »
I've done it twice a few years ago when I made a couple .25 caliber squirrel rifles, one for me and the other for my brother. If I can do it, I have no doubt that you can. Have to admit though, I cheated a little and did them in two pieces. Took them back out after they were inletted and then welded them together. But don't tell anyone.

Offline art riser

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 01:08:15 AM »
Ron Borron has a set of drawings for a Lawing rifle. Myron was his father in law.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 01:47:55 AM »
Ron Borron has a set of drawings for a Lawing rifle. Myron was his father in law.
I always wondered what the connection was there, now I know!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 04:46:35 AM »
Neat rifle thanks for sharing. Mike the tangs over the combs aint insanely hard just leave you a little stressed. ;D