Author Topic: John Cook Fowler Info and rear sight question  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
John Cook Fowler Info and rear sight question
« on: September 07, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »
Good morning,

I have a John Cook fowler that I got at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, OH.  I bought it for my birthday a couple years back when I was home visiting family.  Unfortunately I am not shooting it as much as my rifle and don't necessarily see myself using it much for small game or turkey at this point.  I am curious if anyone has any idea of value on it if I would post it. 

It is cherry stocked with a wrist inlay, wedding band octagon to round barrel, and an L&R lock. 

It has a rear sight on it and now that I have a dedicated rifle if I do keep the fowler I am debating on removing the rear sight.  Seeing that it has a dovetail should I just file the rear sight flush, put a dovetail blank in it and file flush, or simply leave it. 
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: John Cook Fowler Info and rear sight question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
Good morning,

I have a John Cook fowler that I got at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, OH.  I bought it for my birthday a couple years back when I was home visiting family.  Unfortunately I am not shooting it as much as my rifle and don't necessarily see myself using it much for small game or turkey at this point.  I am curious if anyone has any idea of value on it if I would post it. 

It is cherry stocked with a wrist inlay, wedding band octagon to round barrel, and an L&R lock. 

It has a rear sight on it and now that I have a dedicated rifle if I do keep the fowler I am debating on removing the rear sight.  Seeing that it has a dovetail should I just file the rear sight flush, put a dovetail blank in it and file flush, or simply leave it.

I personally would leave it, I like a rear sight on my fowler but I guess that us a matter of taste. If you decide to remove it I would save the sight and fill the dove tailed with a blank that could be removed later if someone wanted to put the rear sight back on.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:17:48 PM »
Good morning,

Need to see pics before we can establish a value. Also, who the builder is will be important too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
John Cook is the builder. I’ve seen a few of his guns in Ohio. I’ll post some pictures later.
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 06:32:06 AM »
Sorry for the delay.

Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 12:45:27 PM »
These pics leave much to be desired for establishing value, you need at least a profile pic. That's a Davis lock, not an L&R. From the craftsmanship I'd say it isn't going to be a high dollar gun. You'd probably be better off keeping it and hunting bunnies and birds with it.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pmringer

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:55:21 AM »
I'm kind of leaning that way, Mike.  Profile is pretty much a basic English.  It is not the prettiest and I think I paid less than a grand for it.  I suppose I'll keep it but I may end up changing the lock out.  It is not nearly as reliable as my Chambers lock.
Patrick M. Ferringer

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
I'm kind of leaning that way, Mike.  Profile is pretty much a basic English.  It is not the prettiest and I think I paid less than a grand for it.  I suppose I'll keep it but I may end up changing the lock out.  It is not nearly as reliable as my Chambers lock.
In my experience those are excellent locks,  I'd fool around with flint position and size. The ones I have used were as fast and dependable as the chambers round faced English/VA locks.