Author Topic: Weirdest place to find a lost part  (Read 2054 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Weirdest place to find a lost part
« on: September 09, 2019, 02:20:08 AM »
Yesterday I was taking apart a lock and was absent minded. I was taking out the sear spring and thoughtlessly did not loosen the screw a little then pivot the spring out of the tab slot. Upon release it went flying like a mortar round.  I saw it hit the concrete basement wall then heard it strike something metallic.  I spent 2 hours cleaning that part of my basement shop. No spring within 8 feet of my bench. I double checked anything metal it might have pinged off.  This morning I went back down to the basement and looked up at the heating duct up near the ceiling. What were the chances? I an my fingers along the top of the duct - and there it was!  Never had a part lost 8 feet off the floor before.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Weirdest place to find a lost part
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:23:59 AM »
Yesterday I was taking apart a lock and was absent minded. I was taking out the sear spring and thoughtlessly did not loosen the screw a little then pivot the spring out of the tab slot. Upon release it went flying like a mortar round.  I saw it hit the concrete basement wall then heard it strike something metallic.  I spent 2 hours cleaning that part of my basement shop. No spring within 8 feet of my bench. I double checked anything metal it might have pinged off.  This morning I went back down to the basement and looked up at the heating duct up near the ceiling. What were the chances? I an my fingers along the top of the duct - and there it was!  Never had a part lost 8 feet off the floor before.

I had a mainspring escape once and found it the next morning on the window sill
of the East facing window.

Bob Roller

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:40:52 PM »
I found a frizzen spring on the floor of the shower once while taking a shower after the 94 Eastern  :/

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »
For some reason the chip pan on my lathe is a spring magnet. It’s a good 15’ jump from the bench to the lathe but that’s the first place I look regardless of the trajectory of an escaping part.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 10:15:29 PM »
Embedded in the wall six months after I lost and replaced it.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »
in the laundry machine, over on the other side of the basement..

Looked and looked all over the shop, had Lynn Marie pat me down before I got out of my shop clothes.. Turned out all the pockets and checked??
started a load of clothes the next day and when I unloaded it.. There was my part!!

Respect Always
Jonathan

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 11:37:32 PM »
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/2/62704_zzz_alt_500.jpg

These are like $10 from harbor freight. I haven’t used this one but we use smaller versions of these at work and they are helpful

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:45:03 AM »
Best way in the word to clean the shop and work bench. Have found my glasses on my head a few times to.

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 01:28:30 AM »
I have short legs. I’ve found more than one lost part in my pants cuff.
BJH

Offline bowkill

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 02:47:15 AM »
Heck i lost both lock bolts one time and have not been seen to this day, and i have a small shop. Looked for a week and finally gave up and just made some more. Still think they will show up someday tho..
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 06:00:00 AM »
I use (depend on) one of Dave2s depth gauges. It disappeared, so I cleaned the benches, the floor and checked every tool box drawer for two days. I broke down and I ordered a new one from the Lucky Bag, it arrived and I was using it at the drill press and in order to rotate the press I placed the new depth gauge on the nearest shelf...on top of the lost one.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jason C

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »
I use (depend on) one of Dave2s depth gauges. It disappeared, so I cleaned the benches, the floor and checked every tool box drawer for two days. I broke down and I ordered a new one from the Lucky Bag, it arrived and I was using it at the drill press and in order to rotate the press I placed the new depth gauge on the nearest shelf...on top of the lost one.

Kevin

Sounds like something I'd do.

Did you have to order a third one because you couldn't find the first two?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
I have found most of the missing parts that sailed across the room on disassembly, they were never where I thought they would be. I use a roofing nail magnet to sweep the dusty floor first off then go to hands and knees.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
Quote from: Jason C link=topic=55917.msg559404#msg559404 date=1568107362

Did you have to order a third one because you couldn't find the first two?
[/quote

Not yet.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 12:20:52 AM »
I wish I could answer that...  ???
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline John Shaw

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 05:47:44 AM »
I've often wondered how much more I would have accomplished in my life if I hadn't spent half of it looking for something that I had in my hands a few minutes ago.

JS

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
I have disassembled things with strings inside a white tall trash bag. Most of the time, the parts stay in the bag.