Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
What is it?
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:59:39 PM »
Appears to be made as a carbine. 11 1/2" swamped .38 cal rifled barrel,1.085 at the breech, .845 at the waist and .856 at the muzzle. Old Begian repurposed lock marked ???? Bomburg looks to be original to the gun but much earlier to the gun. It has the same decoration at the tail as RCA #15. trigger pull is about 12". Where do you suppose this was made?

upload image
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
Pure guessing here: Canada? A canoe gun?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:10 PM »
America from old parts, about 1810-20 would be my guess.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:27:28 PM »
I would guess a rifle damaged at the muzzle and cut short .

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:33:45 PM »
Single side screw, and some obviously repurposed parts, indicate it was built from repurposed parts.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:04:43 AM »
I would guess a rifle damaged at the muzzle and cut short .

I'm going with the general notion that the flare at the muzzle rules out a longer bbl cut off.  Perhaps a new bbl was made and everything else was repurposed.

I will say this and defend my position-it's not a match rifle.  ;D  Got any cast in it?   :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »
I personally think it's a pistol barrel. The owner's family came to America 1856 from Denmark and immigrated to Davenport. It was picked up somewhere between the east coast and  Davenport and has been in the family ever since. They started a grocery store as soon as they arrived in Davenport.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

WESTbury

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:17:16 AM »
Without seeing first hand, it is somewhat reminiscent of an English short barreled Coaching Gun or a Saddle Blanket Gun.

I've been wishing, during my past 50 years of collecting, that these things could talk.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 02:30:51 AM »
I agree - a pistol barrel, repurposed.  That's what we decided on this one.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:48:52 PM »
I personally think it's a pistol barrel. The owner's family came to America 1856 from Denmark and immigrated to Davenport. It was picked up somewhere between the east coast and  Davenport and has been in the family ever since. They started a grocery store as soon as they arrived in Davenport.

Has the rate of twist been checked? 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »

Has the rate of twist been checked?
Nope.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 07:26:30 PM »
Had a friend with one similar to yours but in very good condition and with a saddle ring. Story was it was made for Confederate cavalry use ???
Mark