Author Topic: A couple Lester Smith rifles  (Read 5703 times)

Offline snapper

Re: A couple Lester Smith rifles
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
I had the pleasure of seeing these rifle in person at Friendship.   They are truly stunning.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Wayne of Stoner Creek, and enjoyed getting to know him. 

Hanging out for a few hours at Brooks and Stoner Creek's booth on Saturday was enjoyable and we had a nice visit.

I think Mike enjoyed getting back to Friendship and seeing what he has missed for the past 15 years.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »
Mike or Wayne - The first rifle pictured, what material for all those inlays?  It looks like silver, either sterling or pure.  I think if I had made it, I would have used Sterling as it is a bit more scratch and dent resistant.
Both are absolutely wonderful to see.
I can’t say with total certainty. My best guess would be German Silver. The engraving kinda indicates a harder metal than sterling or coin silver. I believe that the name plate on the barrel is probably sterling.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 06:42:26 PM »
Try inletting this one.  I can't even imagine it.

That look like one of Rase's tricks of letting the tree grow around the metal :D

Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 06:50:24 PM »
Mike or Wayne - The first rifle pictured, what material for all those inlays?  It looks like silver, either sterling or pure.  I think if I had made it, I would have used Sterling as it is a bit more scratch and dent resistant.
Both are absolutely wonderful to see.
I can’t say with total certainty. My best guess would be German Silver. The engraving kinda indicates a harder metal than sterling or coin silver. I believe that the name plate on the barrel is probably sterling.
Looks like german silver to me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 06:16:41 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Mike, .. I heard somewhere that Lester & Hacker used a lot of coin silver in some of their inlays,... don't know what the proof of that is,... but has to be more than white brass,...!!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
;) ;) ;)... Mike, .. I heard somewhere that Lester & Hacker used a lot of coin silver in some of their inlays,... don't know what the proof of that is,... but has to be more than white brass,...!!!
That may be true, but I think these are german silver except for the name plate in the barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
I had the pleasure of seeing these rifle in person at Friendship.   They are truly stunning.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Wayne of Stoner Creek, and enjoyed getting to know him. 

Hanging out for a few hours at Brooks and Stoner Creek's booth on Saturday was enjoyable and we had a nice visit.

I think Mike enjoyed getting back to Friendship and seeing what he has missed for the past 15 years.

Fleener
Yup.
I also enjoyed Wayne's hospitality and enjoyed spending time in the booth he was sharing with Mike. At one time or another, I looked around and found the "group" at that booth, besides Wayne and myself consisted of: Mike Brooks, Jim Chambers, Mike Miller and Charlie Burton. Pretty serious company of some of our very best builders to be afforded the opportunity to socialize with and learn a little from.
Thank you Wayne.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)