Author Topic: Fraktur Banded Horn  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Fraktur Banded Horn
« on: September 12, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
I have generally avoided scrimshaw because I have trouble controlling my hands.   However,  I decided that I wanted to try again.   I made this banded, applied-tip horn and added some fraktur scrimshaw.   This is a traditional right hand carry horn with the horn itself from the right side of the cow.  The horn has an antler tip  and is a little less than 13.5" around the outside curve not including the stopper.    The base plug is a little less than 2.5" in diameter.   The base plug and stopper are walnut.   I have just applied Tried and True to the wood and horn and have not aged the horn. 

The frakture features a peacock on the outside panel.   The peacock represents Christ and is holding a tree of life with three tulips representing the trinity.  There is another tree of life on the other side.

The outside panel is a little better than the inside panel because I took a little more time.   I had to cut the lines at least twice to get them to show up.   I will do some more scrimshaw and I assume I will get better.   

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Fraktur Banded Horn
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
Nice horn Mark,I like it alot!!!!

Mitch

Offline FDR

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
Very interesting horn! I like it a lot also.

Fred

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:39:41 PM »
 Nice work Mark, I am not a carver but that looks well dome to me. Would like to see it when aged.

Tim

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »
 :) :)... nice work, Mark,... I have an old horn with a lot of Fraktur work, but it is etched or stained instead of scratched... have been told it most likely came out of the Valley of Virginia, mid-1800's.....thanx for showing,... 

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
I like it a lot, very nice!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 11:15:49 PM »
Super nice Mark. Are you making it to go with your fraktur bag or is this just part of a fraktur phase? If so, be sure to show us some pics of them together when done.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »
Nice work Mark, I am not a carver but that looks well dome to me. Would like to see it when aged.

Tim

I didn't plan on aging it. 

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:59:52 PM »
Super nice Mark. Are you making it to go with your fraktur bag or is this just part of a fraktur phase? If so, be sure to show us some pics of them together when done.

I do think they look nice together, but the bag has been sold.   The horn won't be going with it.   As to a fraktur phase,  I have been doing fraktur for some time, but I have decided to combine that with my leather and horn work.   I provides an added layer of creativity.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 12:13:31 AM »
:) :)... nice work, Mark,... I have an old horn with a lot of Fraktur work, but it is etched or stained instead of scratched... have been told it most likely came out of the Valley of Virginia, mid-1800's.....thanx for showing,...

Have we seen that one? If not I'd like to.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 12:28:03 AM »
Mark, that's a really nice horn! When I look at it, it just looks right...proportions, construction, craftsmanship...all of it just looks right. I would be proud to be seen carrying it, and I am not much into horns in-and-of themselves. I like it enough the photos are going into my "stolen good ideas" file  ;)
-Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 12:42:00 AM »
Lovely horn...squirrel rifle comes to mind...and very nice photography Mark.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 01:06:33 AM »
Mark,
 Have you considered coloring in the characters on this horn? Monochrome or some other process? Perhaps darkening the background? It may look good with a fraktur bag!
I really like the horn, but it seems to me that something is missing.
Just my way of looking at it. Your workmanship speaks for itself!
Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 02:07:04 AM »
Mark,
 Have you considered coloring in the characters on this horn? Monochrome polychrome (Whatever it is) or some other process? Perhaps darkening the background? It may look good with a fraktur bag!
Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 02:07:09 AM »
Mark,
 Have you considered coloring in the characters on this horn? Monochrome or some other process? Perhaps darkening the background? It may look good with a fraktur bag!
Wayne

I guess it could be colored in and I could texture the background.   I thought about texturing the the background.   What do the rest of you think about it.  What might I used for the coloring?  It would need to be a transparent water proof color.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:09:49 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 02:14:05 AM »
Lovely work. While I would not age it, I would certainly put a little color to it to warm it up some.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 02:23:10 AM »
Lovely work. While I would not age it, I would certainly put a little color to it to warm it up some.

Do you mean like a yellow ferric nitrate stain?   I think I would prefer to color in the bird and flowers and leave the white/light colored background.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
Any way you want it. I just like them warmed up a little. Not necessarily nitric or anything heavy but maybe some onion skins or something to cut the starkness of the background  just a tad and then color the designs. It's just personal preference to whatever suits you.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 02:52:09 AM »
I have found and ordered some waterproof inks.   I am going to try coloring in the design.   It will be a couple of weeks though.    I won't get the ink until the end of next week.   I will post new pictures when I have it done.

Offline Clint

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 05:08:50 AM »
Mark,  I think coloring with inks is a great idea, for fractur. If you wanted to age the horn you could put a coat of linseed oil and stockholm tar on it and hang it in my blacksmith shop for the winter. Very nice horn to my eye.
clint

Offline John Proud

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 04:36:15 PM »
Mark,

That design is a knock out in my mind. A beautiful piece of folk art. I would "tone" the background down a bit, perhaps with a light application of Ferric Nitrate, but I wouldn't put much color on the engraved design. That's if it were mine, which it isn't so it is entirely up to you as the artist. Thanks for sharing the pictures and I am looking forward to seeing more pictures after your inks arrive. My best.

John

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
Mark, not to horn in, but this might give you an idea what a little color can do.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline msellers

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
Mark, that is an amazing piece of work and folk art. I really like the looks of Fraktur. I look forward to seeing what you do as far as coloring your work.

Robby, that is an impressive horn also. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mike

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 12:17:55 AM »
Mark, once again very, very, nice work. I always look forward to the functional eye candy you post. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 02:23:09 AM »
I added a little background color today with ferric nitrate.   The horn now looks like parchment.   I am just waiting for the ink with great anticipation.