Author Topic: Southern Fowler re-visited.  (Read 6007 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Southern Fowler re-visited.
« on: September 13, 2019, 05:06:41 AM »
I got interested in Fowlers recently and was expanding my knowledge with the fine base of knowledge we have here, but then I ran into this MOST interesting gun owned by Dick, (Mr no gold) at one time. He posted pics but they're all fuzzed out as I view them--a Photobucket thing I do believe.  (JTR posted them in his stead)

This particular gun I find very interesting and was hoping to see some better pics.  I've PM'ed Dick (to no response-but only one day has passed) but thought that maybe someone else has good copies of those pics or that maybe he sold the gun and the new owner is also one of us, or would share some fresh images. 

Buehler?  Anybody?  Here's the thread:  (thanks in advance for any leads at all)

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6257.0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:10:40 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Southern Fowler re-visited.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:09:55 AM »
Hey Wade, if you click the pic and download it to your computer/iPad or whatever it’ll download full resolution.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:15:07 AM »
Well that's about ignant...happy to never have been their client.  Thanks

Here's one:

I'll pull the rest. Wonder if it ever got re-converted.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 05:20:54 AM »
I didn’t know it would work that way but when I read your post It occurred to me to try it. I’ve looked at those old posts with no thought that I could download them and get full resolution. I’m not sure many other people know it because I’ve read posts where people were complaining about the old photobucket pics blurred. I guess I’ll post a thread about it in ‘OTBF’.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:01:12 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 06:25:01 AM »
Glad that you got it fellows. Not too sure that I could help you much. I wan't sure that  this was the correct gun, but it is. Tanselman pegged a similar piece as being a Bearden gun from the Tn/Ky border, and that works for me. Barrel is about 48 inches long with one wedding ring and is .69 caliber, mas o menus. Top flat is marked 'f. B' and has chicken track engraving. I assume that this is the piece in question tho I do have an 'M. Sheets' marked smooth gun too. It apppears to have a resused Scottish barrel with flared muzzle, and two wedding rings. These are the only two southern smooth guns I have seen, or had the chance to buy. There must be many more out there; odds of my finding the only two are pretty astronomical.
Will post some new photos soon of this one and the VA gun. Thank you for your interest.
Okay here is an update: yes the gun has been reconverted using a fine English lock that dropped into the mortise like it had been there all along. I am not a big reconversion fan
but the 'too big' percussion lock tended toward the obscene, so reconverting it made sense.

Dick

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:08:38 PM »
Thank you sir.  Absolutely interested in seeing more of both of your guns, especially with a proper lock on the "fB".  I'll keep an eye out.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »
Glad that you got it fellows. ... These are the only two southern smooth guns I have seen, or had the chance to buy. There must be many more out there; odds of my finding the only two are pretty astronomical.
Will post some new photos soon of this one and the VA gun. Thank you for your interest.
Dick

Well if I'm going to have a smoothie, I gotta make a smoothie and if I'm going to make a smoothie-it may as well be Southern.  I'm here to find all the examples I possibly can.  Just the two is amazing.  I'll be "on alert" for them forevermore it seems.  Scarcity makes things interesting. Hope we can find another one or two of this sort of rare one.

I'm only collecting images and ideas.  thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »
Wade, This book has many southern fowlers in it.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flintlock+fowlers&i=stripbooks&hvadid=77996638329812&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6izb4zf5jp_p
I have a copy and they are very nice guns.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 12:45:10 AM »
Glad that you got it fellows. ... These are the only two southern smooth guns I have seen, or had the chance to buy. There must be many more out there; odds of my finding the only two are pretty astronomical.
Dick

Well if I'm going to have a smoothie, I gotta make a smoothie and if I'm going to make a smoothie-it may as well be Southern.  I'm here to find all the examples I possibly can.  Just the two is amazing.  I'll be "on alert" for them forevermore it seems.  Scarcity makes things interesting. Hope we can find another one or two of this sort of rare one.

I'm only collecting images and ideas.  thanks.

Wade, if you find anything of interest let me know. I’m planning the same. I’ll be doing a Fowler this winter and plan on a southern. Sure wish there was a Cannon County school...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 03:25:49 AM »

Wade, if you find anything of interest let me know. I’m planning the same. I’ll be doing a Fowler this winter and plan on a southern. Sure wish there was a Cannon County school...

Maybe they'll call us a school some day.  It is "Shotgun" county already. 

I think I dug up some a reference to wartime gun maker/shop on this side of the co., but I've found nothing earlier.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:37:57 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:33 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flintlock+fowlers&i=stripbooks&hvadid=77996638329812&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6izb4zf5jp_p
Robby

Thanks Robbie, I'll get one of those when I can.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:47:51 PM »
Robby

Are you sure you got the right book? I don't recall Grinslade's book as having anything south of PA in it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »

molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
That’s a Fainot fowler. Lancaster Pennsylvania.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »
Yes it is rich, maybe the author was using the generic term 'Kentucky'. I hadn't really perused that section of the book, but from what I do now see, most makers are known Pennsylvanian smiths. Never the less, they are some beautiful fowlers with fine graceful lines that look American.
Robby
molon labe

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
So Dick has the only two extant surviving Southern Fowlers?    Rare indeed, that bird. 

Can you guys help guess the vintage of this critter? The percussion lock is not original in case you missed that detail-has English lock on it now.

images updated from old post mentioned above, for those who haven't looked or don't care jump through the PB hoops to get a decent image:

mr. no gold's images (before reconversion) 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:04:43 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with that sort of guard.
Hold to the Wind

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 09:27:52 PM »
As you can see by the photographs, the percussion lock was far and away too large for the gun. In, fact it was hardly inleted at all. They may have used a large lock so that the hammer would have sufficient reach over to the tube. It looks okay in the photos, but in hand it is pretty obnoxious. I have sent some updated photos to Mark Elliott and he may elect to post them here. As I have said I am not a big fan of reconversion, but there was this pretty English lock...
Gun looks much better now.
Dick

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
images updated from old post mentioned above, for those who haven't looked or don't care jump through the PB hoops to get a decent image:

Thanks for that. I couldn't get the old pics to work.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 04:49:37 AM »

Thanks for that. I couldn't get the old pics to work.

It's a "work around" where you download the pics and they come out with resolution restored. Someone here just told me about it. All of those I downloaded for my "file" for reference and then re-uploaded here to save others the hassle, hoping to shake another one or two similar guns out of the trees somewhere, anywhere?

Dick, how long is the octagonal bbl section and is it similar in bbl shape to typical OTR types? I've not long studied Fowlers of any school, but am learning. thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 05:47:27 AM »
Hey Wade,

The total, barrel length is 48 inches and change. Don't remember exactly. The octagonal portion is 15 inches long. It then transitions into full round with a nice wedding ring. Breech is somewhat thick, but then tapers forward toward the flared muzzle.       
All furniture is brass, and has some engraving, by the way. The flintlock looks really nice and is an original lock. Since it dropped right into the original cavity with only some minor wood replacement on the surrounds, this one must very close to the original. 
Thank you for your interest.

Dick

**Here are a few more photos of the lock area***

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:22:17 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 03:16:14 AM »
Dick,

I'm curious as to the type of wood you think the stock is made from? Looking at the last couple of pictures you posted makes me think something other than maple but I could be seeing it wrong. The front end of that trigger guard is very interesting!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 07:18:09 AM »
Matt, far as I know, (I'm no wood expert) the stock is maple with somewhat pronounced stripes and a general maple color where it has lost finish.
The triggerguard has a kind of an Allentown look to it with that front lug, though it is pure South. It is a nice brass casting and it holds nicely.
Dick

WESTbury

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Wade,

It is a very nice fowler, with a great long graceful look to it.

I've been looking for a nice New England fowler to match my N.E. Rifle. There are elusive. For the time being, I have to be satisfied with those that are in Tom Grinslade's outstanding book.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
Wow. Has it been 10 years since that first thread.

My how time flies and in all that time Ive seen a number of old fowling pieces in Miss and Ala but none that really spoke southern to me. Mostly English and Belgium imports.

But I keep looking.......Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......