Author Topic: Old Horn Brought Back To Service  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Old Horn Brought Back To Service
« on: September 13, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
 The horn itself is old, I did nothing to the body but I did rework the Butt and Tip. When it came to me the internal piece of the butt was in place and there were leaks all around it, I'm sure it was a 20c repair. The piece with the threads, best I can tell it is 3/4 x 5 TPI, was glued into the Butt cap, there was no finial on it. The tip had a chip out of it about 5/16s wide. There are/were some bug holes at the butt that had been sealed up with what looks like a Brown glue, they were well done so I did nothing to them. The cap and internal part of the butt looked like they had some sort of finish on them, polly something would be my guess.
 I started by coating the Two wooden pieces with paint remover and getting them stripped down to bare wood. Then the leaks were sealed with Bee's wax. I made a finial up out of Antler but the dome on the cap was to sharp so it had to be rounded. I painted the wood with  Flat Black and sanded it back, the finial was then attached with a long screw. I had removed the threaded dowel, put some glue on it and the screw also held it in place.
 The chip was filled with a piece of leather and the thimble tapped down on it, then pinned with Three steel pins. Coated the whole thing with Brown shoe polish and buffed it. Hopefully it will last another hundred years or so. It is about 12" around the outside curve and 3 at the Butt. Fifteen Brass tacks hold it in place.

Tim C.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Old Horn Brought Back To Service
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
great looking horn. I like the thimble a lot. Is that something you’ve seen on 19thc repairs or is it your own creation? I can imagine momma on her hands and knees searching for her darn thimble....

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 06:07:50 PM »
Tim, you have outdone yourself yet again. I really like how this whole piece turned out, especially the thimble repair of the tip. Way to think outside of the box like our forefathers.
Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:31:46 PM »
great looking horn. I like the thimble a lot. Is that something you’ve seen on 19thc repairs or is it your own creation? I can imagine momma on her hands and knees searching for her darn thimble....

Bobby, I have seen them used as period repairs, It may have been in one of Grant's books, I'll see if I can find it.

Tim

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »
Cool repair to a really neat horn.  Two thumbs up.  I like the screw out base.  When I saw it, I could have sworn it was a buff horn from the shape.  Well done Tim.   

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »
That's a really neat piece Tim. I think you did it justice. Lots of great ideas here. Original and in the repairs.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
I love to see those old horns come back to life. Like you said, good for another century. There's something about a thimble that screams Appalachia...... Nice Job
Kind Regards
Frank

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 10:25:52 PM »
Clever and, I would think, a lot like what was done 200 years ago.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:32:41 AM »
If you don't love this horn and appreciate the restoration done, go back to shooting those vile CFR's.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 06:38:30 AM »
A Really Nice job, Tim!!

Love the thimble, too!

Offline Jerry

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »
Tim, Nice restoration. Jerry

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 02:37:09 PM »

[/quote]

Bobby, I have seen them used as period repairs, It may have been in one of Grant's books, I'll see if I can find it.

Tim
[/quote]

I have an original screwtip horn that has a thimble on the tip. Head cut off and the body has split over the years but it is still there.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 03:16:24 PM »
Beautiful job...I love seeing neglected things restored to life.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »

Tim

I have an original screwtip horn that has a thimble on the tip. Head cut off and the body has split over the years but it is still there.

I figured so. Id love to see a pic of an original thimble repair if anyone wants to post one they might have at hand.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:21:46 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 09:21:06 PM »
I like the two piece butt cap.I came up with a design to do something similar,except with brass.