Author Topic: Standing rest?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline alacran

Re: Standing rest?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 02:05:42 AM »
The sub juniors are allowed to use camera tripods to rest their rifles on. Light weight and easy to adjust to terrain. Has a 1/4 20 bolt you can bolt a wider rest on. You may want to consider it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 02:52:13 AM »
I have used cross sticks with an armed lightweight deck chair for shooting field rats out to over 300 yards.
I found it to be just as good as off a rest prone or table/bench. The chair arms are needed for elbow rests.
With a loose butt stock and no arm rests, I find I shoot almost as good offhand especially with a cap lock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bruce in WV

• Starting Member
Schuetzen supported offhand rest
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
Found pictures of the schuetzen supported offhand rest I mentioned in the OP. It goes back to the mid-1800's in this country, and is still in use in central Texas schuetzenfests. It would be simple to modify the rests and make them a little wider for our style rifles.

Yankee refugee living in the free state of WV

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 12:26:14 AM »
Interesting. That is the first time I have seen such a rest.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 07:08:13 AM »
Well as a former offhand shooter and still a builder, this thread hits home. I can no longer stand a shoot. I use my walker with a seat and the arm rests are just right for support. Puts the fun back in blasting away with a flinter. I can no longer aim at nickels but an 8" diameter plate at 65 yards is in danger...LOL.
Nice to know I am not alone in this.
Tony Maples

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
Tony,
You are far from being alone.
Mark