Author Topic: "Rain Coat"  (Read 5972 times)

Offline stoneke

"Rain Coat"
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
I will be hunting elk this fall during a black powder season in Oregon. We can generally count on damp weather conditions sometime during this season. I will be using my .54 cal flint Hawken, that I have built. This rifle has a very reliable L&R lock that provides a good spark and quick ignition.

I recently read of a product called Rain Coat that is mixed with the priming powder for increased reliability. Does anyone have experience with this product? Is it worthwhile?

I have also successfully used 3F as priming powder during damp conditions, but I feel that the usual 4F provides perceptible quicker ignition. Any thoughts?

BrownBear

Re: "Rain Coat"
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
I'm not acquainted with Rain Coat, but I'm sure acquainted with 4f and damp weather.  Best term for it is Mud Pie.  4f really seems to suck moisture out of the air faster than 3f.  I'll take a little slower ignition with 3f if that's what you're getting, rather than no ignition at all.  I'm waiting for some wet weather (dry spell right now) to try 2f priming.  I've got a bud who's using it with perfect happiness, and I'm betting it will be even better than 3f for soggy days.  My lock is a great sparker, so I don't see an issue getting it ignited, and I can't imagine that ignition time will be all that much slower.

I do use a cow's knee and change the prime frequently, so maybe the 2f is overkill.  Gotta try it though, just cuzz.  The hunting pard priming with 2f has taken all his game with his sparker for the last 20 years here in this wet climate, and NO MISFIRES.  Seems like a pretty dependable mentor, doesn't he?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
My suggestion would be to replace the priming as often as it takes to keep it dry rather than using an additive.  I think that would be true no matter what grain size you decide to use.   It's a matter of managing you lock regardless of what the weather is like.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

roundball

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
"...I feel that the usual 4F provides perceptible quicker ignition. Any thoughts?..."

I happen to be a dedicated 4F user, and take no issue with what anybody else wants to use for prime.

What I will say is that I've been aware of the raincoat product for years but have still chosen to just use my Goex 4F like it is and make whatever adjustments I need to.....ie: keeping the lock up under my coat, refreshing the prime even as often as every 30 minutes if its raining, etc...rather than introduce a 3rd party product into the ignition mix of my Flintlocks...plus, there is no guarantee that ignition would still be as I expected it to be anyhow.

So speaking for me, refreshing prime with a handy little 3grn pocker pan primer is simple and quick...takes maybe 15 seconds, and only costs a penny or two even refreshing many times over the course of a days hunt.  I tip the frizzen open and check it often...I tilt the rifle to see if it'll still easily slide back and forth in the pan...and if it starts to hesitate or if it seems to be getting a 'skin' on top of it I refresh it immediately.  Intrentionally went deer hunting one day last November and it was already raining lightly when I left the house...major, major humidity of course...had a good 8 pointer come through 2:30 in the afternoon and the Flintlock fired off like a .30-30, no problem.

Anyhow, that's my .02 cents on the matter...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:07:40 PM by roundball »

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
If you are worried about moisture in your pan, why don't you just seal the junction of the pan with the frizzen with a little beeswax.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

roundball

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »
PS:
No first hand knowledge of this, but I've seen a couple of posts about priming powder called "Null B" that is coated or something and allegedly does not absorb moisture like the other 4Fs but still has good ignition...you might google that up...

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »
PS:
No first hand knowledge of this, but I've seen a couple of posts about priming powder called "Null B" that is coated or something and allegedly does not absorb moisture like the other 4Fs but still has good ignition...you might google that up...

Null B is a priming powder sold by Swiss.  In tests I did for MB in April 05 it was the fastest of the powders I timed.  It has been on the market since then; I bought a can at Friendship this spring.  I was given no information about coatings or how it absorbs moisture.  It is "good stuff".  That's my scientific term.  ;D

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 03:27:40 AM »
When I am Caribou hunting or Moose hunting I keep a piece of paper towel  in the pan with the frizzen  closed down tight on it, and keep it under my rain coat if it is raining.  There is usually plenty of time to prime when the game is spotted.

Deer hunting is a different story.  I dump the pan often and re prime immediately.   I have hunted all day in the rain on many occasion  and have never had any problems with ignition. 

About thirty five years ago I was deer hunting in the rain all day, and at the end of the day my arm was so sore from keeping the lock up under my arm pit,   when I hit the hiking  trail at the top of the mountain I decided to head back.  About half way down the mountain I decided to relax my arm and let the rifle get wet, the day was just about over anyway.  Just about the time the lock got good and wet I met another hunter walking on the trail.  In those days there  were not many flintlock rifles in the woods, and he was surprised to see mine.  He asked a lot of questions about it, including , "how reliable is the ignition".  I told him, on a good dry day it was quit  reliable, on a damp day it was not quite so reliable.  He said " how about on a day like this."  I told him that there was not a chance that it would fire now because it was so wet.  At that  he said "you mean you have been hunting all day with a rifle that will probably not go off, why would you do a thing like that.  I thought for a minute and said, "beats the $#*! out of me, I guess I just like hunting with a flintlock rifle."

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:19:03 AM »
Forget the Rain Coat thing.

The concept involved has been around for close to 30 years now.  Nothing more than micro-pulverized silica.  CabOSil and such stuff.

You coat the grains with it.  Since it is simply a dust on the surface of the grains it does not prevent the surfaces from picking up moisture from the air.  It simply hides the fact.  The powder remains free flowing.  Nothing more.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 05:22:27 AM »
Something else here.

GOEX changed potassium nitrate suppliers back in 2000.  The new supplier has a higher purity and lacks any measurable amount of sodium nitrate as was seen in their previous supplier's product.  So the 4F made after 2000 does not pick up moisture as fast or in as large amounts as was seen in the pre-2001 production 4f powder.

But the Swiss NUL-B is faster in the lock and more resistant to high humidity.

Offline stoneke

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 05:44:30 AM »
Thanks to you all for your input. I have been looking for Null-B for months, but can't find a convenient supply anywhere near southern Oregon. Most places have a 5# minimum coupled a hefty hazardous shipping fee. The search will continue.