Author Topic: Douglas Barrel Co.  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Stoner creek

Douglas Barrel Co.
« on: September 20, 2019, 11:15:20 PM »
Does anyone out there know when the G R Douglas Barrel Co. start building muzzle loading rifle barrels? There was some discussion about that in regards to a Lester Smith rifle that I just acquired which has a Douglas barrel. Since Mr Smith died in 1970 we can use that date as a starting point. Would 1960 be too early??
Thanks
Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline G_T

Re: Douglas Barrel Co.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 01:38:29 AM »
Searching for Douglas on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_70 would make the company formation before 1956 and likely quite a while before, to get a contract with the military.

https://www.douglasbarrels.net/  You could call them and ask.

Gerald

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 03:54:30 PM »
Purely a guess and nothing more I'd say they started about the mid to late 60's and went on until the early 80's. You can call Stan Taylor at Douglas barrels and ask him, I feel sure he would have some good information for you.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
Douglas muzzle loader barrels were popular until one blew up creating a bad hand
injury.That tragedy started a controversy abut using 12L14 or other steels NOT certified
for gun barrels that still simmers today.Another thing an employee of theirs told me was
that crappy,"It's gotta be cheeeep if it's for a muzzle loader"* attitude of the time.This man
told me of charging $10 to install a breech plug properly in a barrel and the customer blew
up and griped about that price.There are still a few NOS Douglas barrels around and they
pop up for sale on occasion but as far as I know now,Douglas Barrel Company has NO
muzzle loading barrel program in place to make them.I know Douglas was making ML barrels
in the early 1970's.

Bob Roller
* I quit muzzle loading work and helped a friend with his European car repair shop and
part timed in a machine shop that sub contacted to the coal mining industry and IF I
did anything in my own shop it was bronze bearings for obsolete automobile transmissions
like Packard Ultramatic and old GM units.Shackle bolts and bushings plus engine fasteners
for 1930's cars like Packard V12,KB Lincolns and Model "j" Duesenbergs were also made
in limited quantities in my shop.Also helped Bill Large off and on for years before all of the other
work.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:30:22 PM by Bob Roller »