General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

interesting flint lock 22 guage muzzle loader.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Robin Hewitt:
Hector Bayet, active 1856-85, of Liege traded as Bayet Freres from 1867.

I like it, but if it is him, why is it flint when it should be centre fire?  ;D

Rick Sheets:
Hey Robin,
I thought you had a way to date an arm by the pinapple finial on the trigger guard. What do you think?
Rick

JV Puleo:
Its flint because it was made for the export market in some less developed part of the world, most likely Africa or the Middle East. The Liege trade was still turning out various grades of these doubles, none of them all that good, well into the 20th century. Not all of the Belgian export guns were the junk that Dixie and others were selling back in the 60s but they aren't what would be considered European market quality either. There is much more emphasis on "fancy" than there is on function. If you look at the reprint of the 1911 ALFA catalog, they are even show there.

mrassII:

--- Quote from: JV Puleo on July 30, 2008, 05:48:46 PM ---Its flint because it was made for the export market in some less developed part of the world. The Liege trade was still turning out various grades of these doubles, none of them all that good, well into the 20th century. If you look at the reprint of the 1911 ALFA catalog, they are even show there.

--- End quote ---

Looks pretty good to me, how do you reckon they did such a great job with inlay of gold and engraving. 

Mike Brooks:

--- Quote ---Looks pretty good to me, how do you reckon they did such a great job with inlay of gold and engraving.
--- End quote ---
When compared to British work this gun just doesn't measure up. The locks aren't very gracefull either, not surprising it was made at such a late date as clunky as it appears. I'd say it was made for the middle eastern trade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version