Author Topic: Taper of coned muzzle  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Taper of coned muzzle
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 11:39:40 PM »
Just for a lark, I used a few .360" balls at Hefley Creek this year, whereas I usually use .350" balls from my RCBS DC mould. Not sure where I got the .360's from, but they were in my shooting box. Those bore sized balls loaded about identically to the .350's, both using 8oz. denim(.019" to .020") and some .020" light canvas patches I bought from one of the dealers, just to try out. My Rice barrel is about .001" smaller than .360" as the balls measured out exactly, and will sit on the muzzle, but can easily be pushed into it. I do use a short starter, but it is not necessary. A choked up rod can push this combination into the bore with just downward pressure, then down it with the 5/16" hickory rod. The patch and ball form easily into the bore.
The smaller the calibre, the easier it is to load a tight combination.  Your rifle will like you for doing that & show this in tighter groups. Never a fouling problem as it cannot build up.
I used both Mr. Flintlock's lube and WWWF+ (some)Neetsfoot oil as lube.  Both worked a treat.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V