Author Topic: Brass powder measures  (Read 2050 times)

Offline msellers

Brass powder measures
« on: October 14, 2019, 06:02:17 AM »
Ok, so I have been making myself some simple powder measures similar to Daryl. However, I need to get some more materials to make some larger than 75 gr.

Am looking for some advice and guidance to make them a bit more original looking. I lack engravers so I can't make a poor attempt at decorating them that way. What are some thoughts on this you all may be willing to share?

Here is one I have finished the others are trying to take on artificial aging at the present. Trying several different techniques to see what I like the best.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Jerry

Re: Brass powder measures
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:16:05 PM »
I also prefer fixed powder measures. The best solution for aging brass or copper is 44/40 cold bluing. It can be purchased in liquid or paste. Both work equally as well. Keep applying past the color you want. It will lighten some with use. I purchase mine from Brownell's. Jerry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 04:46:27 PM »
Yep, cold blue works really well. Just rub it back with 0000 or fine sandpaper. God bless, Marc

Offline Mick C

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »
I think it looks great as is.  Use it and it'll turn dark and get a patina.  Nice work.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 02:19:48 AM »
Looks nice to me. I’ll send you a piece of 1/8” hss if you want to make a graver. Just turn a handle for it.  I might even have one laying around.  I might even have a graver I made laying around. I bought the Lynsey sharpening jigs and the gravers that fit the jigs are smaller than 1/8”.   That kind of stuff would make excellent practicing pieces.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:24:30 AM by Mike Lyons »

Offline msellers

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
Looks nice to me. I’ll send you a piece of 1/8” hss if you want to make a graver. Just turn a handle for it.  I might even have one laying around.  I might even have a graver I made laying around. I bought the Lynsey sharpening jigs and the gravers that fit the jigs are smaller than 1/8”.   That kind of stuff would make excellent practicing pieces.
Mike,
Sounds good to me have a bunch of push graver handles from another deal a while back. I would gladly trade you for one.
Mike

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 04:13:38 AM »
Here are some iron ones that I made up a few years back. All the originals that I have seen were rolled from flat stock and the bottoms hang out to make a lip. I have seen several made from lead that look like the brass one you showed.

nitrate formula

Offline msellers

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 04:18:57 AM »
Thanks for showing those Brian, your work truly does keep one striving to improve and be innovative. How big around would you say your iron ones are? Have some light sheet and could easily do that to an acceptable level.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 03:47:18 AM »
3/8" for the smaller ones and 1/2" or 7/16" for the larger. That's the inside diameter of the measures.

Offline msellers

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 03:52:17 AM »
Thanks, that was kinda what I was guessing.
Mike