Author Topic: Knocked a chip out of my squirrel rifle  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Terry Reynolds

Knocked a chip out of my squirrel rifle
« on: September 26, 2019, 02:52:27 AM »
Out last weekend and managed to knock a chip out of my favorite squirrel thumper. Been studying what to do about it and thought I would ask what others here would do before I screwed it up. Would appreciate your thoughts and thanks.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 06:57:25 AM by Ky-Flinter »
aka “digger658”

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Knocked a chip out of my squirrel rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 02:55:24 AM »
Do you have the chip? If not, it seems to be nosecap time...

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 03:10:51 AM »
No chip, actually went back and tried to find it.
aka “digger658”

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 03:31:47 AM »
Well, you have a narrow series of options it seems to me. You might be able to chisel a piece of wood out of the bottom of your patchbox large enough to glue it in, let it set, trim it to shape, and stain and finish. It’ll show some. You can nosecap it. You can reshape the end and do a full refinish. You seem to have plenty of wood at the muzzle. You could contract someone to do any of the above for you. Or you could leave it. I might touch it with some stain for now and make a sober decision after squirrel season.....

Offline scottmc

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 04:36:48 AM »
Shape that nose down as it should have been originally and that chip will he a thing of the past.  As Bob said, you have plenty of wood there so just taper it down as if there was a cap but without using a cap.
Remember Paoli!

smokepole45cal

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 05:37:26 AM »
Scott maybe a visual could help me understand the taper you're mentioning. You mean like on a schimmel barn gun?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:03:37 AM »
Something like that. It would be different based on the style but here one of Mike Brooks. The nose will typically be treated similar to how it would be if it had a Nosecap, in as much as it would be a smaller diameter than the rest of the fore end and the transition shaped.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:55:45 PM by Bob McBride »

Tizzy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »
The way i see it, you have three options....
1. Let the chip stay as it is.. reduce the chip edges with fine sandpaper to smooth them out to appear as wear, then rub it with some real linsead oil and let it add to the character of your rifle....which by the absence of a nose cap I assume it to be a working mans rifle by design anyways...will only add to character

2. Reshape the area....

3. Add nose cap....which could detract from original intent of simplicity of the rifle.

OK....option 4...I dont like it...but you could try and patch in a wood dutchman and refinish
Just my unqualified opinions....

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 06:59:29 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 02:43:49 PM »
Scott maybe a visual could help me understand the taper you're mentioning. You mean like on a schimmel barn gun?

Here is an example.  Basically, your ramrod groove will all but disappear the last two inches or so as the nose area steps down.  You may not want the roundness at the very end but you see the idea.  I like the end of the one joe posted.  I hope this helps you some.

Remember Paoli!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
It's an honest "battle scar" and it wouldn't bother me at all. A little dark stain
of some kind and then forget it.Bumps and dings on a working meat getting rifle
can be expected and unless the stock is broken in a fall I would not be concerned.
Bob Roller

Offline rsells

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
I would reshape the wood at the muzzle, stain, and apply finish.  If I build a mountain rifle without a nose cap, I always shape the muzzle end of the stock similar to what other folks have suggested. If you shoot the rifle a bunch, it will not take long until the newly finished area will look normal.
                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »
Since nosecaps and refinishing have been mentioned, another option on that front would be to pour a pewter one with some open designs on it, that would be less obtrusive.  Might fit the character of the gun better if you go the nosecap route.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

This is how I finished up my Kibler rifle;  simple, elegant and not quite as fragile as yours.  But reshaping yours would involve refinishing the entire forestock, if not the whole rifle.

If it were mine, I'd likely just smooth it off a bit, stain it very dark, and call it a day.  Some folks pay good money to have that sort of thing done to their NEW rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
I'd leave it alone and move on with life.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »
There is no doubt it’s a squirrel getter and a accurate one at that. Thanks for all the advice, think I’ll just leave it be, the squirrels won’t know the difference.

aka “digger658”

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
I would leave it too.  I have a rifle from my grandpa that has a couple chips in it.  I wouldn't dare touch them up. 

westbrook

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 10:39:26 PM »
A Beauty mark!...Carry on!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 11:08:18 PM »
Since nosecaps and refinishing have been mentioned, another option on that front would be to pour a pewter one with some open designs on it, that would be less obtrusive.  Might fit the character of the gun better if you go the nosecap route.

I second Top Jaw.  Pour a pewter nose cap.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 11:43:32 PM »
Just leaving it as-is sounds like the easiest way to go.  If any squirrel foolishly says something derogatory about it, well, you know what to do.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »
Just leaving it as-is sounds like the easiest way to go.  If any squirrel foolishly says something derogatory about it, well, you know what to do.

LOL
aka “digger658”

Offline scottmc

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 01:10:40 AM »
Yep, your rifle so I'm good with whatever you decide.  I also agree with the others that it adds character.  Touch it up and call it a day and continue to make meat the old fashion way😉
Remember Paoli!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 01:30:21 AM »
Squirrels on the Barbie taste better with a dinged up rifle says I.  ;)

The Grey Whistle Pig has spoken.

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »
I was reading some old posts and saw this one. As I will be dealing with this matter soon I was wondering if some folks would put some pictures of what a southern mountain "muzzle" should look like. I am still designing mine and still would like to have a pretty floral steel one but only if I can justify doing it in an historical context. Has anyone ever seen a toeplate using the circular/screw pattern? thinking about making one. It would be normal but have one or two miniature screws that look like the tang if you can picture that. What do you think,not authenic?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
I was reading some old posts and saw this one. As I will be dealing with this matter soon I was wondering if some folks would put some pictures of what a southern mountain "muzzle" should look like. I am still designing mine and still would like to have a pretty floral steel one but only if I can justify doing it in an historical context. Has anyone ever seen a toeplate using the circular/screw pattern? thinking about making one. It would be normal but have one or two miniature screws that look like the tang if you can picture that. What do you think,not authenic?

I'm confused as you inquire about the muzzle and then start talking about a toeplate, opposite end of the gun.  Short answer: look at originals, in books, in our library, in the antiques thread here.  Contemporary works can lead one astray (depending on the maker, and his notions). 

And, probably need a new thread for this topic. 

Also, "Southern Mountain" is more of a notion than a defined school of guns as I understand it.  I see it as a "catch all" for guns that don't quite fit other schools or more specific regional references.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:10:11 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind