Author Topic: Apprentices of John Armstrong & Christian Hawken?  (Read 918 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Apprentices of John Armstrong & Christian Hawken?
« on: September 27, 2019, 05:05:52 AM »
Question for the knowledgeable ones?

Did any of the apprentices of the better Maryland gunsmiths like John Armstrong or Christian Hawken, migrate down into northern Virginia to set up shop?

In other words, would it be likely to find strong Maryland characteristics in a Virginia longrifle? If so, what time period would such a rifle be found in?

Thanks for any, and all answers.

R.J.Bruce

smokepole45cal

Re: Apprentices of John Armstrong & Christian Hawken?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:00:44 PM »
Yes!  Look at the "Sheetz and Clark Rifle" in Whisker's gunsmiths of West Virginia...pages 84 and 85.  It is almost a clone of Armstong! Identical escutcheons, side plate, inlays in beavertails, carving, matchbox design...etc.  I would send a photo but I don't want to violate any copyright rules.

Given Emmittsburg MD and Shepherdtown VIRGINIA were relatively close and near the Great Wagon Road route it makes sense that there was some interaction with the Sheetz family.

James Clark is the individual I'm referring to.  Evidently Clark worked temporarily with one of the Sheetz gunsmith and headed to Ohio or somewhere around there.