Author Topic: gun aging  (Read 4810 times)

Offline hawkeye

gun aging
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
hello guys,
I,m a longtime blackpowder shooter, butt pretty new in building and finishing guns
are there  certain methods to age brass to a nice brown patina other then use of black brass?
also ways to age wood and metal parts?

looking for advice here?
best regards from Belgium
Hawkeye (Hugo)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: gun aging
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »
There is too much information to exchange on the subject to do it in one post. It's taken me 39 years of experimentation to get to where I am today. Really broad subject that has no quick answer.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:17:11 PM »
Hi Hugo,

There have been many discussions on aging here thru the years.  Use the Search feature and search on the word "aging" will result in many threads on this topic.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline FDR

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
Jim Kibler has a series of videos on u-tube that show how he does building and aging. Here is a link to one.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kibler%27s+longrifles&qpvt=kibler%27s+longrifles&view=detail&mid=F98D68623661F1181D0BF98D68623661F1181D0B&&FORM=VRDGAR

Fred

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
Part of the equation for a good looking result is to make up your mind what you want to represent.  How many years of wear and tear and repairs and more.  Example, to look fully original-the metal and wood must be aged similarly.  And there are degrees of aging and stories to represent. Some guns took a real beating and while others were well-kept.  Finding your own target zone between those two is half the battle.  The more old guns you handle the better you can see these things.

I'd rather see a new gun beat up than an original cleaned up.  Patina is platinum in the value of the old guns, because we still can't fake it as well as time makes it.
Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
Here’s a quick one for parts you can take off the gun and heat without risk. Does not apply to inlays or soldered thimbles or riveted on nosecaps. Take off, heat to dull red, and quench or allow to cool. Bingo it’s dull.
Andover, Vermont

Offline redheart

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 06:21:43 PM »
I've always taken powder residue off of my lock with a wet finger and rubbed it on the shiny brass to put what I think is a pretty nice patina on it.
You usually have to do this a number of times until you get it dark enough.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:29:47 PM by redheart »

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »

I personally strive to keep my guns looking as new as is possible for as long as I can. 
        Bob

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »
I personally do not like faux patinas.  Character and patina is acquired in the field.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
I personally do not like faux patinas.  Character and patina is acquired in the field.
Most guns don't go in the field anymore.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »

Reminds me of my grandfather. He never could understand my love of faded Levies. To him jeans should come stiff as a board and nearly black, not half worn out and faded. He thought they were silly and a little dishonest. I totally saw his point but I like to be comfortable day one. In 5 years they’d all look the same anyway. Different strokes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:01:56 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
Hawkeye,

One way to age brass is with ammonia.   Look it up and you'll see how it's done. V simple really.

Gents, Hawkeye didn't ask our opinions on aging, and I can see this going off the rails if we all give our opinion/s. 

Offline Frank

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
Black powder fouling on a cleaning patch will age your brass for you.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »

Reminds me of my grandfather. He never could understand my love of faded Levies. To him jeans should come stiff as a board and nearly black, not half worn out and faded. He thought they were silly and a little dishonest. I totally saw his point but I like to be comfortable day one. In 5 years they’d all look the same anyway. Different strokes.

BIG DANG difference IMO, I wear out blue jeans so fast that I now buy the double-fronted logger type (of 14oz) and I want them just like your Grandfather did- fully rigid like plyboard, and full of indigo.  Otherwise they're worn out in no time, and then I'm patching over my favorite ones and it looks like crooked hades.  I do love faded jeans, but I need no help making 'em that way.

My guns could never show aging if I didn't purposefully give them character.  And as Pukka B reminds us, Hawkeye didn't inquire as to our opinions but to the process.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 06:18:53 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »
Point taken Wade. My comment was simply a commentary on how some folks like a thing shiney when they first lay hands on it and some don’t. Anyway, I let my brass age naturally but have tried the dirty patch wipe. Works ok but patinas unevenly to my eye.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »
I generally do a "slightly used" appearance, which it would look like with a little use anyway.  Mostly because I'm too clumsy, and I can't make a brand new gun that looks perfectly brand new.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
 I think quite often people relatively new to the sport try to hide poor craftsmanship by artificially aging their firearm. The problem is that doing the aging correctly is as hard as crafting a beautiful firearm. That being said IMO you can’t go too far wrong taking Jim Kibler’s advice on the subject.

Hungry Horse

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 07:55:08 PM »
I overlooked the videos on you tube from Jim and find them very interesting indeed.
On metal finish and brass I gonna try some of the ideas you gave me

smokepole45cal

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
Talk about a polarizing topic....it's one of the most common questions out there.  Opinions vary as to whether or not it's even appropriate to do or if the builder should leave alone and just let time take its course.  Personally I don't look of a bright and shiny longrifle but opinions vary on that.  Everybody wants that elusive "patina" look. Not long ago in a class I took the instructor ranted suggesting it was misleading and unethical to do this.  So do what makes you or your customer happy I say.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »
... Not long ago in a class I took the instructor ranted suggesting it was misleading and unethical to do this.  So do what makes you or your customer happy I say.

Wonder if that's the guy who paid 50k for a faked Hawken a little while back.  ;D

Yes there are all sides, but the OP inquired to technique.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 10:46:30 PM »
For rifle barrels and locks, all I have to do is handle them.  I let Kentucky humidity do the rest.  By the time I'm done making a gun, the iron parts all have a natural patina!  Just knock off the heavier rust with steel wool and oil it. 
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »
From what I've seen, Mikey Brooks does a fine job of aging on a few of his products.  And he would probably teach you at his Brooks College of Knowledge - daily rates.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
Ok, I tried to stay out of this..... till now. To the original poster.  I don't like shiny new guns, I like the looks of an older, well taken care of gun.  That's how I try to finish mine.
If the O.P. Would contact me off line, I'd be glad to explain my process.
It's going to be a lengthy discussion.

In His grip,

Dane

WESTbury

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
When original long rifles and fowlers were built in the 18th and 19th century, did the builder artificially age the gun to please themselves or future customer?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
When original long rifles and fowlers were built in the 18th and 19th century, did the builder artificially age the gun to please themselves or future customer?
You know they didn't why ask? ::)

When I started building guns 39 years ago I wanted a gun that looked like all the old ones I saw in books and handled personally, not some hard edged cold piece of metal and wood. I wanted a warm and soft gun that was inviting to pick up and look at and shoot. I'll rarely even pick up and look at a "like new" gun, they are usually to cold and lifeless to  be of any real interest. Ageing a gun is an art form, just like sculpting the stock.