Author Topic: V gouge guys  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Mauser06

V gouge guys
« on: September 28, 2019, 02:48:41 AM »
For you guys that run V gouges, what ones in particular do you like??   

I am not sure which "angle" is best or which size.  I see they vary from 30-45-60-90 degree angles...

This is my 2nd time attempting to carve a rifle.  My wood, for the most part, is nice and dense and after cutting moulding lines like they were easy, I decided to try the V gouge for outlining the carving.  I have a full sized 12/2 pfeil.  It worked pretty well.  I actually had a bunch of carving outlined pretty quickly chasing it with a mallet...

I think a "intermediate" sized may work better for ME.  So I ordered a intermediate 12/2

While I was at it, I wanted to see what others prefer...width and angle of the V. 

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: V gouge guys
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:16:12 AM »
pfiel 16/1 & 16/3.  I have a couple of the 16/1.  One I shortened thinking I would have better control, but it turns out that I end up using the standard length with no problem.  Like anything-the more you use/practice with it, the more comfortable it becomes.  I use the 16/3 more for larger C scrolls and incised borders. Sharpening them is another task that must be learned as well and you will have to sharpen them at some time.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 05:33:54 AM »
I do need to figure out sharpening....

For me, the full sized gets tough because of the length.  Figured trying the intermediate would be atleast worth a try.   They only make the intermediate in the 12s though so I got another 12/2. 

I enjoy running the V gouge and plan to keep practicing it....so I gotta learn to sharpen them. 

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 06:57:40 AM »
I bought several pfiel v gouges and I’m not able to control them that well. I don’t like the length.  I like the little Mikisyo power grips. They are cheap and you can throw them away when they get dull.  I have a few flex cut chisels for chip carving that are small like the mikisyo.  I’d imagine the flexcut v gouges aren’t too bad.

Offline Rich

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
I'm not really a v gouge guy, I like stabbing in. However if an original looks like it was done with a v gouge, that's probably what should be used if you're making a copy. I have 2 pfiel v gouges, a 12-3 and a 15-3. I find the 15-3 is easier to make tighter curves. That being said, I recently took a carving class from Eric Von Aschwege at the Washington Historical Gunmakers event in August. He preferred the 12-3 and so that is what I used in the class. His use of the gouge includes turning it so one of the sides in at 90 degrees. The 12-3 is easier to do that with than the 15-3. Learning the techniques of how to use the gouge may have converted me to preferring the 12-3 for relief carving. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »

For me, the full sized gets tough because of the length.  Figured trying the intermediate would be atleast worth a try.   They only make the intermediate in the 12s though so I got another 12/2. 

I enjoy running the V gouge and plan to keep practicing it....so I gotta learn to sharpen them.
I just throw mine away when it gets dull and buy a new one. I have probably carved a 100 guns with the one I have now maybe more, small price to pay to get carving on a gun. Tried sharpening and it was a disaster. In fact the time I spent sharpening I could have bought 2 or 3 when you consider what my time is worth. The one I use is very tiny, I don't know what size it's called.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »

When sharpening a V gouge I find the most important tool in success is patience and being in the right frame of mind.  I spent 2 hours this past Tuesday resharpening all 3 of my V gouges.  I would sharpen one, give it a test cut, and then touch it up with the stone where I saw tearing in the wood.  A couple of times I over sharpened and had to start over.  By over sharpen I mean getting a hook from the transition from side to radius.  Another area to pay attention to is to make sure to flatten the cone on the underside of the gouge.  Here is a pretty good video, i my opinion, with great closeups.     Unfortunately, there is no way to get good or proficient at sharpening the V gouge unless you do it.
David

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 07:00:03 PM »
I use both 60 and 90 degree parting tools made by DemBart chequering folks, and sold by Brownell's.  They are palm sized and are pushed rather than whacked with a mallet.  They cut with, across or against the grain without tearing...  but you do have to learn to sharpen them.
Having cut the outline, I stab in to accentuate the line, and make the carving pop.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 07:14:26 PM »
I use the Pfeil  V parting tool, I think it's the 60 degree one, I don't know the number.  I've gotten quite handy with it, if I do say so, myself, and can do my incising rather quickly just pushing it with my hand, mostly.  For curves I will tap it around.  It's wood engraving....which means I should be able to engrave, right?  :D 

I do almost everything with it now, incising and outlining relief carving, except for some odd shapes, or the little gouge stab ))) cuts.

Incising leaves you NO room for error, though.  If you mess it up, it's probably stuck that way forever, as it's pretty hard to "push" an incised line over to where it should be.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »
I use the flex cut v gouge. I cant remember the angle but it's extremely sharp and pushes well with your hand.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 03:35:47 PM »
I use the flex cut v gouge. I cant remember the angle but it's extremely sharp and pushes well with your hand.
I never ever push a V tool, always chase. I have absolutely no control pushing through curves...or straight sections for that matter. The only way I get smooth curves  and volutes is to drive it with my graving hammer like a graver. Unless I'm using it as a shader I'll push it by hand in rare cases.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 08:02:02 PM »
I'm lefthanded and carving illterate. I use the V tool for cutting mostly straight lines like moulding. To keep my lines straight I set up a fence keeping one side of the V against the fence. True, it doesn't do curves well but I've practised a good bit and my curves have gotten much better.
American horses of Arabian descent.