Author Topic: Soft brass casting suppliers?  (Read 1671 times)

smokepole45cal

Soft brass casting suppliers?
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding suppliers of customized SOFT brass (no or little bronze) buttplates and trigger guards.

Goering, rest in peace, and Keck have only certain types that is poplular to their customers, I guess. Custom stuff is too expensive to cast Ive been told.

Problem is I don't want to build with what everybody else already has.  And also, I know I'm not the first guy here that wants to build a copy of a original gun and not use brass castings that dont match up to my liking. Right?

What's the work around aside from casting my own which aint gonna happen.  What about Chambers? Thanks

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Soft brass casting suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 09:27:11 PM »
You might want to check out what Mike Brooks offers to see if any of it suits your needs.  www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
The castings that I have purchased from Mike Brooks are very good. They’re soft enough to bend fairly easily and hard enough to engrave.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »
I've wondered if the enthusiasm for iron-mounted "Woodbury School" rifles these days isn't driven in part by the difficulty of obtaining custom brass mountings - forging iron mounts is just another use of the tools and skills that are already desirable for other aspects of this hobby and are comparatively easy to obtain, whereas brass casting is a much more esoteric skill these days and one that doesn't have a lot of other uses.

It doesn't help things that one of the best suppliers of brass castings never could put together a proper catalog with pictures and dimensions, either. grumble, grumble.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding suppliers of customized SOFT brass (no or little bronze) buttplates and trigger guards.

Goering, rest in peace, and Keck have only certain types that is poplular to their customers, I guess. Custom stuff is too expensive to cast Ive been told.

Problem is I don't want to build with what everybody else already has.  And also, I know I'm not the first guy here that wants to build a copy of a original gun and not use brass castings that dont match up to my liking. Right?

What's the work around aside from casting my own which aint gonna happen.  What about Chambers? Thanks

Not sure what you are looking for but my Gillespie TG and BP's can be bent to suite your needs. I have them investment cast by Mastercraft. I highly recommend them. They will cast a single tree if you wait until they gave a run of that metal I usually get mine within 2 to 4 weeks.
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:47:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 10:54:34 PM »
Here's some of what I have. Tell me what you're looking for and I'l see what I have. If you have something you want reproduced and have the piece I can do that as well. I have more options than what you see here, this is all I happen to have cast at the moment.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 11:52:54 PM »
Let me add to what Mike said here. Those castings look at weird whiteish yellow but once you file off all of the sand casting dross you will get a nice brass color.  I had my doubts until I filed a set out.
Good luck in your quest!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:07:29 AM »
Yes, appears to be two different colors. The difference is some have been sand blasted and others not. The real yellowish ones are the non sand blasted. I have told the foundry to quit doing that. Both colors file out to be the same, a nice yellow brass color. In fact they keep getting yellower with age when they are finished.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

smokepole45cal

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 03:26:20 AM »
Dang. Good information. Thanks guys.

Mike should I PM you?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 04:08:48 PM »
Dang. Good information. Thanks guys.

Mike should I PM you?
Yes you should.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »
Mike,
 Do you anticipate having pistol guards at some point?  It also looks like maybe a few of the fowler guards could be shortened and bent into pistol guards.
Kevin 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
Mike,
 Do you anticipate having pistol guards at some point?  It also looks like maybe a few of the fowler guards could be shortened and bent into pistol guards.
Kevin
I have a pattern for a French dragoon guard and a Ky guard.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 02:37:20 AM »
Most of Track of the Wolf's investment castings are in soft yellow brass now, but you need to call/email to verify to make sure the one you want is.  Apparently they have been making their own molds for some time now, and the ones they make are only done in yellow brass.  They still catalog other manufacturer's castings as well and those may or may not be true brass.

Offline Clint

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 03:49:23 AM »
Mike,I really like the last picture in your series, it reminds me of a wrought iron gate ready to be shipped for galvanizing.     Clint