Author Topic: Ohio half-stock question  (Read 966 times)

Offline FALout

Ohio half-stock question
« on: September 29, 2019, 10:55:56 PM »
I was hoping someone that knows about Ohio rifles could let me in on what was used for rod pipes, whether steel or maybe brass?  The books I have, all show black and white photos which make it hard to tell.  On some pics the pipes seem lighter in color maybe suggesting brass.  I’ve got some parts gathered already.  The summer before last I was in Ohio and got to look some rifles over, but I was was more concerned about stock architecture and inlays.  I know that builders back then used a variety of metals mixed, such as brass parts with silver inlays.  Already have nice curly maple stock, 45cal GM barrel, Chambers late Ketland lock, tg and buttplate, then some inlays ( both brass and German silver).  Any suggestions about the pipes or miscellaneous info about these rifles would be appreciated, this style of rifles is different then I’ve built in the past.
Bob
Bob

Offline Scota4570

Re: Ohio half-stock question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »
Half stock example:  Martin Beeson of Portsmith Ohio made a very elaborate half stock.  It is featured in the Muzzle Blasts compilation, Longrifle Articles, volume II, Page 56.  The pipes look brass to me. 

"Ohio" covers lots of gunsmiths. You probably have lots of options.  Maybe get this book?  https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/first-editions/donald-a-hutslar-gunsmiths-of-ohio-18th-and-19th-centuries-volume-i-biographical-data-york-george-shumway-/a/201113-93130.s
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:30:42 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 01:24:19 AM »
Thanks for he lead on that book, I remember seeing it available awhile ago.  I’ve got some of the “Ohio gunsmiths & allied tradesman” books.  Your right about the many options.  That’s why I’m sticking to making this flintlock instead of percussion.  I’ve built a few cap guns but really prefer flint.  I’ll have to see about getting that book before I start work on this.
Bob

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 04:34:59 AM »
I believe the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors has a web presence. Last I look there was a great amount of information.Check them out.

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:03:03 AM »
Good suggestion b bogart, that site has more pics and really good outline of the gunsmiths themselves
Bob