Author Topic: Sighting tip  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Sighting tip
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »
I’m sure the experienced  guys don’t even think about this but for us new guys,  I learned something that could be helpful. I was having a hard time sighting in a 50 caliber with store bought front and rear sights. It got to the point I put it in the corner and considered scavenging it for parts.  I’ve tried several lubes, patch’s with different thicknesses, wiping before every shot etc. So,  today I opened up the square in the rear sight and made a front sight out of a walking liberty silver doller.  It’s a honkin thick front sight.  Did it ever work!  I’m still shooting a bit low, but the groups are where they need to be.  So,  if your pattern is all over the place,  fiddle with your sights before you throw the old girl in the corner.   

upload image

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: Sighting tip
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:11:39 AM »
Good advice.  A wider slot in the rear sight and a fat front site show up better, and for some it is just the thing for good groups,

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 01:14:32 AM »
I just did that on one of my guns and boy does that help.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
Welcome to old age. It only gets worse from where you're at now.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hudson

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »
Have used this trick for several years now, it certainly helps. My last build I opened it up to a bit over 1/8 inch.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
Have used this trick for several years now, it certainly helps. My last build I opened it up to a bit over 1/8 inch.

I was using a very fine swiss file that was very narrow.  I tried a hacksaw blade and now I'm using the little square needle file that you can purchase everywhere. With the wide front sight, it gives me just a little light on both sides of the front sight.  Seems to be doing the trick.  An odd part of all of this learning experience is that if I use my glasses while shooting, I get inconsistent results.  If I use clear or yellow safety glasses, I get consistent results. I have an astigmatism so maybe that has something to do with using my glasses. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 07:04:22 PM »
The courser sights will also diminish the fuzziness, and trying in vain to determine when the front sight is level with the top of the rear one.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.