Author Topic: English Siler Conversion  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Scota4570

English Siler Conversion
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:10:37 AM »
I wanted an English looking lock for a project.  I did a new plate for a Siler I already had.  Are there any other details to do?   Other than polishing....  Don't know why the first picture is oriented wrong. 

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:14:38 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: English Siler Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 04:19:51 AM »
Depends on the date you want.  I think the regular Siler cock, with its high-breast, works better for Englishic conversions.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 06:02:24 AM »
The frizzen spring is all wrong for an English lock. You can do some filing to help but replacing would be best. Also the cock is wrong for an English lock. If you can weld or know someone that can you can use the cock that is on the lock. Get some photo's of locks you are trying to duplicate. Lots of books and you can find photos of locks on the net.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 06:15:24 AM »
Gettin some good feedback here Scota. Nice work on the plate.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:01:29 AM by Bob McBride »

Online hen

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
The lockplate is just about acceptable for an English lock of the period but the pan/bridle/fence area, the cock, frizzen and frizzen spring are all incorrect. Sorry, I should have used the word 'steel' and not 'frizzen'.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 02:35:49 PM »
Hi,
Here are some examples.  I filled in the depressions on the frizzen, reshaped the frizzen springs, reshaped the flint cock, gave the pan bridle a bit more "Nike swoosh" look and on one, I eliminated the hole for the pan screw. I also cut two-step moldings around the plates and flint cocks

dave.

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
Lots of work, I have done it before back in the ancient days. I think I would have coughed up the bucks for a chambers late ketland.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »
Person's conversion very nice.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

westbrook

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 03:47:50 AM »
... I think I would have coughed up the bucks for a chambers late ketland.

Unless you build from the kit, the Siler is the same $$ as the Late Ketland.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:34 PM »
I had a regular Siler.  I wanted a generic late English trade lock.  A blank plate was cheap.  That is why.

I messed with the cock a bit.  See below.  I am not trying to create a perfect copy of anything.  I do not mind that the frizzen spring is not bent up.  I am only looking for the general idea.  I do think mine is pretty close the the very first image posted above by Dave.  I do not have the skills or patience to make it as fancy as Dave's other lock.