Author Topic: Differences between York and Lancaster school typical features  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Cossack

Differences between York and Lancaster school typical features
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:25:03 AM »
I've been trying to differentiate these two schools.

My books at the moment are KRA's "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols" and Shumway's "Pennsylvania Longrifles of Note." Both show rifles from both schools and to my untrained eye they have similar profiles and features. What are the typical features that make a York look like a York as opposed to a Lancaster? Other than being a few miles apart, what makes them different "schools?" If somebody was building or selling a York rifle, what would you expect it to look like?

I've read somewhere that York rifles have more English influence. Where/how does that manifest itself in the features of the guns?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Differences between York and Lancaster school typical features
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
Get RCA I&II. Then get the relevant KRA discs.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 03:56:25 PM »
Your resources are limited. As Mike said there’s a lot out there. Plus it’s not like a Lancaster builder failed “school” if their rifles were different from others made there.

What we are talking about in “schools” are characteristics commonly, but not universally, found in rifles from a particular area. Differences can be subtle.

Both Lancaster and York rifles commonly share a triangular buttstock with relatively straight comb and toe lines. Daisy patchboxes and a typical c-scroll pattern of carving are common but not universal on Lancaster rifles.  York County rifles often have distinctive tang carving typical of Schroyer’s rifles.  Patchboxes and carving are much more varied on York rifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline far55

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 06:14:13 AM »
I asked this same question back in 2018 at the York County rifle symposium during the question and answer period, and did not get much of an answer. A while later a well known collector approached me and asked if I got my answer yet. I said "No", and asked him the difference when carving and patchbox design was taken out of the mix. He said " There is not a whole lot of difference". I asked this question of a current builder of rifles who has built both styles and he said he thought the York guns may be slimmer, but when I was looking at the guns on display at the symposium, there were several earlier guns (an Eister comes to mind), that had an earlier style thick wrist and butt stock. So, as in the Lancaster guns, time frame may dictate this.  Any specific York details that can be added would be appreciated.
Thanks, Roland

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
Yep, time frame is everything. You would probably have to narrow it down to a particular year to make any accurate comparisons.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
I always though "geography" was the only difference between them.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 12:11:57 AM »
I always though "geography" was the only difference between them.

Shucks gnaw. ;D

The more intensely we study, the more we find that time means a lot in the evolution of a school and also, in the guns made by a particular builder, assuming a long career.  And then we has to decide on where to draw the "early/late" dividing lines.

Just think how complicated we could make it if we had more surviving examples.  :o   
Hold to the Wind

Offline Cossack

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 03:09:40 AM »
Are certain "English" features, such as English locks or English style tang carving, more common in York rifles as opposed to Lancaster at any given period?

I've never seen a roundfaced lock in a York rifle, although I have seen one in a Lancaster (Valentine Fondersmith). Would a roundfaced English lock be out of place on a York build?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 03:13:38 AM »
Are you aware of our “museum” here? Some fine York rifles there.
Andover, Vermont

WESTbury

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 04:18:36 AM »
Cossack

I'm sure that you will discover that the Bruce Miller Museum is a treasure trove of information, photographic and written, that should satisfy your curiosity.

As that some of my German ancestors, on my mother's side of the family, lived in Lancaster County in the 18th and 19th century, I am interested in Lancaster school rifles. I even have Graeff ancestors, sadly not John Graeff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 04:59:56 AM »
I wouldn't say there was anything particularly English about York or Lancaster rifles.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
Hi,
Golden age York guns often had more elaborate and pierced patch boxes and side plates than Lancaster guns.  They often had rear ramrod pipes that tapered and narrowed toward the breech. Some York makers also had a tendency to extend the stock almost straight back from the barrel for an inch or so and then start the arc downward. On some rifles this created a slight hump above the rear of the lock that I do not particularly find appealing. Eister and Zorger did that on some rifles.  The carved "C" scrolls and volutes tended to be distorted in a way that suggests movement to me.  I really like that feature because it makes the carving come alive rather than static decoration.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 06:05:18 PM »
It has always seemed to me that the forward part of the comb profile is more slender and concave on golden age York Co’s.  More so than Lancaster’s.  But I’m sure someone has an example that will bunk my observations. 🙂