Author Topic: The finest contemporary gun you've seen??  (Read 12997 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

The finest contemporary gun you've seen??
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
I would be curious to see what people would say is the finest contemporary built gun that they have ever seen. I am hoping to see some amazing guns on this thread.
For me, it has got to be Jim Kibler's burl mounted fowler. I hardly have words to describe the beauty.  I want to print out posters of it to hang in the gunshop, just so I can look at it all the time.
Here is a link to the gun on Jim's site incase you haven't seen it yet (you must!!)
https://www.jimkibler.net/burl-stocked-fowling-piece.html

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: The finest contemporary gun you've seen??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »
That sets the bar extremely high, Justin.  I've seen some wonderful stuff posted on this site over the years.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »
I would have difficulty narrowing it down to 3 or 4 dozen. there are a lot of very talented gunmakers out there these days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »
There’s a difference between fineness and desirability to me. If I could have one contemporary gun it would be Eric Kettenburg’s gun styled after the Musician’s rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 10:27:52 PM »
There’s a difference between fineness and desirability to me. If I could have one contemporary gun it would be Eric Kettenburg’s gun styled after the Musician’s rifle.
I am not familiar with that one

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
I am not familiar with that one

http://www.erickettenburg.com/1750s.html
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »
WOW.  They are both fine and desirable to me.  Jim's is rifle out of a shop as new and beautiful and Eric's looks like a well used 200 year old.  I doubt I could choose one or the other.  They are both fantastic.  I probably have to agree with Mike that it is too hard to choose as the next one shown I will feel the same about.   8)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline vanu

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:22:26 PM »
Certainly not the most elaborate rifle Wallace has made, But I've always been drawn to it...completely made by hand 50 years ago using many tools that were period antiques or forged to replicate those in a mid 18th century shop. The tree was cut by hand in SW Va, the blank sawn out of the log in a pit saw, forged barrel & lock, shop cast brass furniture from old candle sticks, patchbox/pipes - toe plate annealed and hammered out sheet brass, etc., etc.,etc. No attempt to age the rifle so it appears as it would out of a shop before 250 years of wear. What is remarkable is this was created without even an electric light!

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2017/10/rifle-made-in-colonial-williamsburg.html

Bruce

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 01:14:37 AM »
Certainly not the most elaborate rifle Wallace has made, But I've always been drawn to it...completely made by hand 50 years ago using many tools that were period antiques or forged to replicate those in a mid 18th century shop. The tree was cut by hand in SW Va, the blank sawn out of the log in a pit saw, forged barrel & lock, shop cast brass furniture from old candle sticks, patchbox/pipes - toe plate annealed and hammered out sheet brass, etc., etc.,etc. No attempt to age the rifle so it appears as it would out of a shop before 250 years of wear. What is remarkable is this was created without even an electric light!

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2017/10/rifle-made-in-colonial-williamsburg.html

Bruce
Is that the one from the video Gunsmith of Williamsburg?

Offline vanu

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 01:58:30 AM »
Justin,

Nope, the movie gun is in the CWF collection; this one is in private hands.

Bruce

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 02:20:13 AM »
Ah. Even so, it's fantastic that he could do that. Wallace and Hershel House from Foxfire 5 are a big reason I got into gun building. I'm only 34, so their inspiration spans generations

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 02:51:03 AM »
This was a Mike Brooks interpretation of an F&I rifle. I've admired this gun for sometime. It came up for sale sometime this year, but I already had a rifle in the works.

http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle12.html

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 05:33:12 AM »
That painted Pratt rifle at the CLA show was pretty neat.  I like Brian Barkers TN rifle too and I like everything Brooks makes.   

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 05:43:31 AM »
Any of Allen Martin's Lehighs.  $#*!, any of Al's rifles actually. Great architecture, tasteful carving, masterful inletting.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 06:42:04 AM »
I think Jim Kibler is one  of our very best. And this piece is great . One of the greatest compliments I've ever received is that the judges at Dixons years ago said they could always know my guns and I had no need to put a tape over the signature. My time has passed but like wise you can always know a Kibler. But this is not a signature gun. Others are.
 I also love Eric Ketinburgs  stuff. But I think Allen Martin can outdo the musition rifle on a routine basis.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
To many to choose from out there. I like so many.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 02:04:59 PM »
I haven't had the oportunity to see many contemporary guns in person. However, just the other day, a fellow brought two pistols made by Gary Brumfeld (sp?) for me to see. I was definitely impressed.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
I have never personally seen this gun but I believe this gun by Monte Mandarino certainly ranks as one of the best contemporary guns made.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »
Allen Martin’s Bucks County Schimmel made for Larry Pletcher reminds me of the story of a young Giotto being asked by the Pope to do a painting as proof of his skill and in response he hand draws a perfect circle.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:59:52 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
I have never personally seen this gun but I believe this gun by Monte Mandarino certainly ranks as one of the best contemporary guns made.

Yep, that's a hum dinger there. Definitely in the Brooks top 40 of favorite guns
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
That sets the bar extremely high, Justin.  I've seen some wonderful stuff posted on this site over the years.

My favorite was and still is an Alex Henry target rifle made by a Canadian friend,Ted Girodat.
It was better than the original he copied and Don Brown said it made his best ones look bad.
Ted Girodat is no longer with us,cancer took him way too soon.
As Taylor just said,There has been some wonderful stuff posted here over the years and will be
in years to come,both newly made and fine relics of a day long gone.Sometimes I wish I had
concentrated on making rifles instead of small parts for them but between the small parts for
rifles and parts for cars we were OK and can now do much less and have fewer thing to bother
us.
Bob Roller

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
I like Shaker furniture, the Japanese katana, and similar things that at first glance seem quite simple. But, a second look will reveal that tremendous  effort went into making the item appear to look simple, when in fact it is quite complex.

The above Allen Martin schimmel, a Mike Brooks Carolina trade gun, and similar unadorned long guns with complex architectural details are what truly interest me.

Mike Brooks's Game Creepers rifle that he made for himself, but subsequently sold, is another example.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
I have kept that issue of Muzzle Blast showing Monte's creation hanging in my shop as a reminder of how little talent I have. To me that level of work is humbling.
kw

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 05:52:19 PM »
I was just PM's asking what I thought that Mandarino gun is worth. I quickly estimated $100,000+. After thinking about it I'd adjust that estimate to $250,000+. I believe he's the only one I know of that is capable of that level of work.

Offline jrb

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Ken Gahagan's painted red bumford trade gun. no Woodbury or liberace style stuff.