Author Topic: The finest contemporary gun you've seen??  (Read 13002 times)

Offline sqrldog

Re: The finest contemporary gun you've seen??
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »
Maybe I misunderstood the OP's title. It said the finest gun you've ever seen not what you prefer in a gun. Heck I like a plain rifle best of all but they certainly aren't the finest rifle I've ever seen. Mark Silver's jaeger that he displays at the CLA each year is quite a masterpiece. I have little use for a gun that I can't hunt with but they certainly aren't the finest gun I've seen.

Offline jrb

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 06:37:33 PM »
it doesn't get any finer than Gahagan's Bumford for me. it's totally historically correct and  finely made.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:41:39 PM by jrb »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
  Well good topic but I would be hard pressed to name one or two. I have always liked Jack Dupreys guns. Mike Brooks with the folksie lion. That he had at the CLA is impressive. Several of Stoners guns. Impress me along with John Bivins.
  Not the guy for fancy but I do appreciate the skill it takes to do that kind of craftsmanship. But I'll take a plain jane Soddy or Tennessee any day..! Oops I almost forgot Joe Sells (sp ? ) North Carolina style.

Oldtravler

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
I like Shaker furniture, the Japanese katana, and similar things that at first glance seem quite simple. But, a second look will reveal that tremendous  effort went into making the item appear to look simple, when in fact it is quite complex.

The above Allen Martin schimmel, a Mike Brooks Carolina trade gun, and similar unadorned long guns with complex architectural details are what truly interest me.

Mike Brooks's Game Creepers rifle that he made for himself, but subsequently sold, is another example.

We sure seem to have the same eye. I posted the Schimmel above, own the Brooks ‘Gamecreeper’ rifle, and love Shaker furniture. You have a very fine taste indeed sir..... ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:54:41 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
A few years ago, Bill Shipman posted pictures of a very fine M. Fordney rifle he had finished building. I cannot say it was the finest contemporary piece I have ever laid eyes on, but it was certainly in the top tier of many a fine piece!   

Joel Hall

Offline Mick C

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
This is a really tough and somewhat loaded question as there are so many amazing gun makers here on this forum, any number of which I would be tremendously honored to be caretaker of one of their works of art.  However, for me, the most spectacular rifle that I have seen up close and held in my hands fairly recently (a few years ago) is the one made by Jim Chambers.  Here is a link to a picture of Jim holding the rifle from a profile of him on the Contemporary Makers Blog:

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/05/contemporary-makers-portraits-jim.html
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
I don’t know the finest but I like this one by Jud B

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 12:18:03 AM »
I thought my Verner was the best I had seen, except for, now that I think about it, some Jerry Hudleson, DaveC2, Dave C. and Tom C. have built.
This one, today, took my breath away, just as those mentioned did some time ago.
https://www.jimkibler.net/burl-stocked-fowling-piece.html
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2019, 03:42:45 AM »
This one here qualifies in my opinion. Most of you are familiar with it.

Everything works.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 04:21:12 AM »
I think the question is sort of like, "Which BBQ is the best?"  I like them all.  Similarly, I love so many of the beautiful contemporary rifles I have seen. 
All of that said, I think my all-time favorite rifle happens to be from the Golden Age (yep, stretching the rules of this question).  The silver mounted John Vogler Salem, NC longrifle commissioned for a Lieutenant of Francis Marion some years after the Revolution.  It embodies my ideal of a beautiful gun....

You can see this one in person at the MESDA Museum in Old Salem, NC. 
God Bless,   Marc

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 04:36:32 AM »
my personal favorite is the Lenord Meadows rifle we posted in contemporary collecting.
Being built in the mid 70s ,there is much to see when holding. All these mentioned are fine work,way beyond my skills. But I honor the makers in high regard, Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 05:41:46 AM »
This one kinda turns my crank.

Of course, it is signed by the maker on the barrel.
Sapergia, in script
Daryl

Offline redheart

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
My favorite is D. Taylors bag grip Hawken . I know it's not fancy, but as usual he did a perfect job and I'm obviously a Hawken nut.

Offline FALout

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »
I base my input on what I’ve “seen” in person (which is based on very limited number of rifles) not just pics.  I was very impressed with Marvin Kemper’s copy of the John Small Grouseland rifle.  I saw both the copy and original at the Illinois show and didn’t even then comprehend the full story till the next issue of Muzzleloader Magazine came to my door.
Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
My favorite is D. Taylors bag grip Hawken . I know it's not fancy, but as usual he did a perfect job and I'm obviously a Hawken nut.

Yes - that bag-grip Hawken was REALLY nice. Good shooting rifle, too.

Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2019, 09:30:25 PM »
Well, I just had to jump in anyway.  Many of  the rifles posted do indeed make it hard to catch one's breath; wheew...  But while I can truly appreciate gorgeous guns as high art, I really like plainer ones and those with somewhat understated carving and engraving.  Perfectly authentic renditions are admired but not absolutely required.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »
Since the question was finest I too would have to go with Monte Manderino,s creation. It is not only executed flawlessly (to my eyes) but ornate to the extreme and every thing about the build was custom hand made by him IIRC.

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2019, 01:59:59 AM »
My all time finest would be a swivel breach by John Schippers. It is number 13 in his book. It's just a very well made beautiful rifle.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2019, 04:45:50 AM »
Funny. I had no idea Monte Mandarino lived an hour away from where I used to live in MT. Wish I could've spent some time learning in his shop.

Offline redheart

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2019, 07:52:59 AM »

Yes - that bag-grip Hawken was REALLY nice. Good shooting rifle, too.

Daryl,
Thanks Brother, I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates Hawken perfection!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:56:29 AM by redheart »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »
The bag grip Hawken is one of my favorites as well.FIRST CLASS craftsmanship across the
whole job and I am happy to have been able to furnish the 1/4x80 tap and die for the tang
sight. This gun is an upgrade on the original that inspired it in all aspects and is a collection
in and of itself. This kind of gun makes me wish I had tried harder to learn rifle making but
the locks and triggers appealed more to me along with the cars and aircraft interspersed in
between shop work.
Bob Roller

Offline redheart

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2019, 07:01:13 PM »
The bag grip Hawken is one of my favorites as well.FIRST CLASS craftsmanship across the
whole job and I am happy to have been able to furnish the 1/4x80 tap and die for the tang
sight. This gun is an upgrade on the original that inspired it in all aspects and is a collection
in and of itself. This kind of gun makes me wish I had tried harder to learn rifle making but
the locks and triggers appealed more to me along with the cars and aircraft interspersed in
between shop work.
Bob Roller
Thanks Bob, :)
I'm glad that you like it too, thanks for being involved in it!

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »
Ian Pratt’s Holston iron mounted rifle or one of Chuck Edwards iron mounted early rifles

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2019, 04:04:23 AM »
I'm pretty fond of my Cornell Kemper .45... but then, it's mine.  And she shoots quite well.

But yes, every time I think I've seen the pinnacle of contemporary work, one of you fine folk post photos of something even nicer.

I do sorta aspire to own a Brooks rifle someday... mainly because I remember him as Gunmaker back when I first got onto Gunboards.  And because he makes a fine smoke-pole.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:34 AM »
A very well made rifle will always beat one that just has a lot stuff on it.